Chapter 31: Henri Enters the Scene

"Can you believe that Catherine is four years old already?" Christine asked.

   "No, I can't," Erik replied.

   "I'm standing right here," Catherine reminded. "When will Gustave be back?"

   "I'm not sure, Cath. He's out with Celeste," Christine replied.

   "He's always out with Celeste. Gustave never spends time with me," Catherine complained.

   Erik sat down and lifted his daughter onto his lap. "Darling, your brother is eighteen. He is in love with a girl who loves him and I may not be happy about it, but -God knows why- Celeste makes him happy."

   "But he promised me that he would always be there for me. He promised me that he would protect me. Three people picked on me today and called me a freak, and where was Gustave? He was off with his girlfriend! That's where!" Catherine cried.

   Erik pulled his daughter in close. "I scared them pretty badly with my lasso though, didn't I?"

   "Yeah," Catherine sniffed.

   "Come on. I see that smile. Don't make me tickle you."

   "Don't! Don't!" Catherine exclaimed and quickly ran off.

   "Poor kid," Christine said once her daughter left the room.

   "Maybe we could have a talk with Gustave when he gets back," Erik suggested.

   Catherine went back to her room and cried. "Gustave's never there for me," she said aloud to no one. She felt so alone. Catherine didn't have any friends. Sometimes she felt like she didn't even have Gustave. "He's always out with Celeste or Lucas or both of them. He never spends time with me ever."

   Meanwhile, Gustave had been having a wonderful time with Celeste. Up until they returned to the opera house, that is. When they arrived, Celeste saw a familiar face.

   "Well, if it isn't Henri LeClair!" Celeste exclaimed.

   "Celeste LeBlanc, how have you been?" The stranger asked. He embraced Celeste.

   "Who's your friend?" Gustave asked, trying to conceal his jealousy.

   "I'm Henri," the man greeted and extended a hand.

   "Gustave."

   "How do you know Celeste?" Henri asked the taller, more handsome man.

   "I'm her boyfriend," Gustave stated as he pulled her close. "How do you know my Celeste?" He made sure to put emphasis on the word my.

   "We knew each other long ago. I guess you could say we were childhood sweethearts," Henri explained.

   Gustave's jealousy grew a bit more at this statement. "Ah, I see. Well, it was nice meeting you. I best be going. See you tonight, my love," Gustave kissed his girlfriend and then walked off.

   "He seems nice," Henri commented.

   "He is. I love him, Henri," Celeste replied earnestly.

   "Is there a chance," Henri paused, "Is there a chance you and I could...start over?"

   "I'm sorry, Henri. I'm not going to just leave Gustave. Besides, there's only one slight problem: I don't love you at all," Celeste stated flatly.

   "Okay then. I'll be leaving," Henri responded, but he added to himself, "This isn't over."

   Gustave returned to the main room of the lair. "Mother, Father, may I talk to you?"

   "Yes. In fact, we would like to talk to you as well," Erik replied. "You go first."

   "Okay. You both might want to sit down," Gustave waited until his parents did as he suggested. "I have been dating Celeste for awhile now."

   "Yes, four years is a long time," Erik interjected.

   "Yes it is. You see, Celeste is very special and I would... I would like to ask her to marry me," Gustave finished.

   "Gustave, you're so young. Are you sure you really want to spend the rest of your life with her?" Christine questioned. "Where will you live? Where will you get a job? Where will you get the money to pay for the wedding?"

   "I haven't thought that far ahead yet," Gustave answered.

   "Son, I think maybe you should give this some more thought before you pop the question," Erik suggested. "Your mother is right. You need to think about your future."

   "Didn't the two of you run off to London suddenly? Did you guys think about where you were to get money or find work?" Gustave questioned with a know-it-all smirk.

   "That's really how you want to play it?" Erik shot back.

   "I'm just making a point."

   "Look, I'm not going to argue over this with you, boy. We are telling you that we want you to think about this more, because right now, it doesn't seem as if you've put much thought into it at all. We aren't saying no. We're just telling you to wait."

   "Okay. I guess I can except that. Now, what was it that you wanted to discuss with me?"

   "Gustave, your spending so much time with Celeste has hurt your sister tremendously. We think that maybe you need to have a talk with her," Christine explained.

   Gustave ran his fingers through his dark brown hair. He got up to go to his sister's room. As he walked down the hallway, he could hear gentle sobs drifting from the other side of Catherine's door. He knocked softly and asked, "Catherine, can I come in?"

   "No. Go away," came the muffled reply.

   "Catherine, please let me in," Gustave begged.

   "Fine. What do you want?" She asked when her brother entered the room.

   "I want to talk to you. Now, tell me, why have you been crying?"

   "Why do you care? Shouldn't you be with your girlfriend or something?" Catherine shot.

   "Come on, kid. Don't be like that."

   "Well, what do want me to say?"

   "I want you to tell me why it is that you've been crying. I'm your brother. I have a right to know."

   "You never spend any time with me. You spend all your spare time with Celeste. You promised that you would always be there for me. You said that no matter what you would protect me. Well, three kids picked on me today and you weren't there. Instead, you were off with your girlfriend."

   "Cath, I'm so sorry. I didn't know. You're right, I do spend a lot of time with Celeste. As for those kids, I'd be happy to beat them up if you'd like," Gustave said with a smiled.

   "That's okay," Catherine mumbled, burying her face back in her pillow.

   "Hey, how about I cancel my plans with Celeste for tomorrow and you and I spend the entire day together? How does that sound?"

   Catherine looked up at her brother and smiled. "I'd like that."

   Gustave embraced his sister. "I love you," he said softly in her ear.

   "I love you too, Gustave."