Chapter 45: Gustave Tells His Parents the News

Gustave, Bella, and Catherine returned from their trip to the doctor.

"Is everything alright?" Christine asked worriedly.

"Where's Father? We have something we would like to discuss with the both of you," Gustave said.

"He's in the other room. I'll fetch him," Christine replied. She was back quickly with Erik behind her.

"What is it, Gustave?" Erik asked.

"You might want to sit down. Both of you," Gustave suggested. They sat and he continued, "We have news."

Bella looked at Gustave and then at Erik and Christine. She put her hand on her stomach and announced, "I'm pregnant."

"Oh, that's wonderful! How far along are you?" Christine asked.

"Four weeks," Bella replied.

"Father?" Gustave asked. "Say something."

"Oh my god, I'm going to be a grandfather. I'm too young. Too young! I need more time," Erik exclaimed. "I'm not old enough to be a grandfather. Not old enough, I say."

The party burst into laughter.

"Tell me about it. I'm going to be a big sister and an aunt," Catherine remarked.

"I'm going to be a grandmother. I'm only thirty-eight," Christine added.

"I'm going to be a mother," Bella reminded.

"I'm going to be a father," Gustave said, feeling faint again.

"Darling, sit down. You're looking very pale," Bella said.

"Ah, first child jitters. I know them well," Erik laughed.

Christine and Bella went off to go have a talk. Bella wanted to ask Christine questions about being pregnant and giving birth and all that.
Meanwhile, Erik and Gustave had a talk about fatherhood and Erik answered Gustave's questions.

"How do I help Bella through the pregnancy?" Gustave asked.

"Just be there for her. Whatever she asks you to do, no matter how crazy it may seem, just do it. A few kind words never hurt either," Erik answered.

"And what about the birth? How do I help her through that? Is there any way to ease the pain?"

"Honestly, there's nothing you can do to ease the pain. However, being extra kind and understanding really helps. If you let her hold your hand and squeeze it when she needs to, sometimes, that helps. At least, I think it does. Your mother does it to me every time. I'm not sure if it helps or not. I just know that I lose feeling in my hand each time."

Gustave laughed. "Noted."

The two continued to talk for a while.
Now, normally this would be when Catherine would be sitting in her room feeling alone, but now she had friends she could go talk to. Catherine went up to the rooftop and waited. He would be there soon.