Chapter 17: Gustave Visits Meg

Erik and Christine took their son to see Meg. As they climbed the stairs, Gustave felt himself growing more nervous with each step. He knew that Meg was very ill, but that was all knew. His mother hadn't given him any details, and he was too afraid to ask.
Christine was the first to speak as they entered Meg's room.

"Hello Meg," she said softly. "It's so good to see you again."

"Christine. I've missed you terribly," Meg replied. She looked pale and like she hadn't slept in days. "Gustave, my dear, come and let me see you."

Gustave stepped closer. The sight of Meg looking so helpless was too much for him to bear. Yet, he refused to turn away. Gustave wanted to run up and embrace Meg, but he didn't for fear he would somehow break her, for she seemed to be weak.

"Erik, Christine, you two run along. I'd like some time along with Gustave," Meg decided.

The parents left and Gustave was all alone with Meg. "How are you feeling?" He asked, unsure of what to do.

"I feel a lot better now that you're here," she replied.

"I'm glad to hear that," the boy said, extending to her a single rose.

"Thank you, dear. Oh Gustave, you are growing up so fast. I remember when we first brought you to Paris when you were just a month old," Meg reminisced.

Gustave and Meg talked for an hour or so. Gustave could tell that Meg needed rest, so he returned to the catacombs.
The young boy was in a haze. "Meg is still beautiful despite her pale complexion," he thought. Gustave had fancied Meg for some time now. It wasn't very serious. Nothing more than a small crush. He was very bright for his age and knew that Meg was much too old for him and that he was much too young to like girls. Gustave suspected that the reason why he fancied Meg was because she had been there his whole life. He felt very close to Meg. She was like an older sister to him.
Gustave had turned his thoughts on his mother and father. Christine had told him that there was so much more that he needed to know. He quickened his pace and reached the main room in no time.

"Please tell me the whole story," Gustave begged his parents.

Though it took hours, the couple told their son everything. They even explained to Gustave the real reason for their long stay in Paris. The boy was glad to finally know the whole truth. The family then agreed: no more secrets. From then on, they would tell each other everything.
That night, Erik and Christine had a discussion.

"Do you remember the discussion we had ten years ago where we said how if when Gustave was ten, we were doing well financially and if both wanted one, we'd have another child?" Christine asked.

"Yes, I do remember that," Erik replied.

"Have you given it thought?"

"Having another child? Yes, I have given it much thought. I want one, Christine, but now is not the right time. Maybe once this entire thing is sorted out with the London authorities and we can return home, we'll have another. As for now, we need to get to the bottom of who told my secret to the police."

"I might have an idea of who, but I can't be completely sure that I'm correct."

"Who are you think of?"

Christine's expression went cold, the name almost too difficult to utter. It tasted like poison on her tongue as she spat, "Raoul de Chagny."