Chapter 18: Erik Confronts Raoul

"Do you really think that Raoul is behind this?" Erik questioned.

"Possibly," Christine replied. "The only way to know for sure would be to ask him. The only problem is, if he did do it, he might lie and say that he didn't."

"That is true. Maybe I should go and have a talk with the Viscount."

"Okay, but Erik, please be calm. We've all seen what happens when you lose your temper. It isn't pretty."

"Christine, I am a changed man. I haven't lost my temper in ten years, and of that, I am very proud. I promise, I will be calm about this."

Erik went off to find the Viscount de Chagny. After what seemed like a hour, he finally did. "De Chagny!" He called out.

"Erik, it's so good to see you," Raoul lied.

"I would like to have a little talk with you," Erik interjected.

"Why, of course, good Monsieur. What is this 'little talk' about?"

"Somebody alerted the London authorities of my past," Erik paused, choosing his words carefully, "mistakes."

"Well, can you blame me? Somebody needed to tell them," Raoul stated flatly.

"So it was you!" Erik was angry. He took a minute to calm himself before he asked, "Why did you do it?"

"I did it because I feel that you never paid for your crimes. They dropped charges here in Paris and you never went to jail. Among other things, you got Christine. a prize which you do not deserve. Furthermore, that child should be taken away from you and put in the care of someone who's more trustworthy."

"Where's a Punjab lasso when you need one?" Erik thought to himself but said aloud, "I'm sorry you feel that way. While I do agree that I don't deserve Christine -she is a goddess- you certainly do not either. As for Gustave, if you, or anyone else, as much as tries to lay a finger on him, they will have me to answer to. Is that clear? Good. Now, I would like you to know, dear Vicomte, that in doing this, you have not only upset me, but you have upset Christine as well. If you still care for her at all, you will go make things right with the London authorities," Erik stated firmly. "One more thing: stay way from my family or I will personally break every bone in your body. Got it?"

Raoul looked up at the man that was towering over him. Terror was written plainly over his features. "Y-yes," he stuttered.

Erik twirled his cape and disappeared. He made his way through the maze of mirrors and down the long, winding staircase.

"How did it go?" Christine asked when her husband entered the room.

"He did it. Raoul was the one who told the authorities of my past," Erik said through gritted teeth.

"Darling, calm yourself. Please. This will all be taken care of in due time. Gustave has been awaiting your return. He wanted to show you a new song he learned. Gustave, come!"

Gustave walked over to the piano and began to play a familiar song. He was playing No One Would Listen.

"My son, where did you learn that song?" Erik asked.

"You used to sing it to me when I was younger. You said it was about Mother. I found the sheet music in your suitcase," Gustave explained. "Will you sing it for us, Father?"

Erik sang and Christine listened blissfully. The song brought tears to her eyes. She hadn't heard it in years.

"Is this how you really feel? Was I the only one who listened to you?" Christine questioned her husband.

"Indeed you were," Erik replied. "We have Gustave now so you aren't the only one," he added with a smile.

Christine laughed. Erik loved to hear her laugh. It was like music.
Erik and Christine sang as their son played Phantom of the Opera, Music of the Night, Wandering Child, and The Point of No Return. He played very well and both parents were impressed.
They told their son the significance of each song and had a joyous time. They even told him if the sword fight that took place at the cemetery. The three laughed heartily.

"Gustave I want to show you something," Erik said presenting his Punjab lasso.

"Erik, no! Oh my goodness, what is wrong with you?" Christine asked laughing.

More laughter ensued. The small family was up well into the night. Soon, Christine realized the time and told Gustave to go to bed.

"Do you feel better after spending tonight with your family?" Christine asked her husband.

"I do. I haven't laughed like that in years," Erik replied.

The couple continued to talk and laugh and sing. Gustave could hear some of it. He was extremely happy to have two parents who loved him, and who loved each other, despite all that had happened in their lives.