24: The CEO's Daughter

K.H

Ugh, another conference I have to attend for my mother. The board of directors must be sick of me by now.

I entered the meeting room in a formal attire and tidied up hair and sat at the very end of the table. I smiled sheepishly then said, "I'm very sorry I have to be here again, my mother has some very important matters to attend to so I'll be filling in for her, regretfully, again."

One of the board members just waved his hand dismissively and said, "Don't worry too much about it Ms. Kyong, your insights are invaluable, I wouldn't be too surprised if the company is handed over to you once you graduate, but since we expected you to be here, we also brought in someone vital to this meeting."

I raised my brows in surprise as the glass door to the meeting room swung open revealing Eunwoo.

I did my best to keep a stoic face as he moved to sit beside me and when he was seated, I whispered to him, "What are you doing here?"

He shrugged and I saw his expression and he was just as confused as I was. He then replied, "I don't know, they just pulled me out of class and now I'm here."

I sighed and just nodded and awaited what the board of directors were going to say.

Eventually one of them stood up and said, "Now let's get on with this meeting because I know both Ms. Kyong and Mr. Cha have pressing matters which is their education."

"We are here to discuss the partnership of Cha and Kyong Laboratories," he continued and I felt my body stiffen at what he was going to imply.

"Yes of course that has already been established with the gala and with the eventual marriage after Eunwoo and I graduate," I said and the board of directors nodded in agreement.

Then the man who was standing, Mr. Song said, "Yes of course we are all aware of that but the company has hit a dead end, our technology is state of the art but our staff don't have seniority and experience to usher us further into development."

"So what solution do you propose?," I asked and he replied, "We already know the deal between the Kyong and Cha families, if the two of you get married then the Cha Laboratories will offer their senior scientists to usher in more scientific breakthroughs in medicine."

"So what are you implying?," I asked and Mr. Song answered, "That the two of you will get married by the end of this month."

Then my heart sunk at the news.

I slumped into my chair in defeat and said, "Is there no other way?"

He shook his head and said, "I am afraid there is no other solution, if we do not move forward, sales will continuously plummet and the company may be able to stay afloat but we won't be able to provide cures for free anymore for the patients that are really in need."

I stood up from my chair and said, "I will do this under one condition."

I closed my eyes and steeled my nerves then said, "I will push through with it under one condition.......I replace my mother as CEO."

"Now Ms. Kyong, we have no problem with that, you have been exhibiting the qualities of an excellent CEO and as much as we regret to say it but we have received an anonymous email from someone," Mr. Song said as he flashed a picture of my mother partying using a projector so that everyone could see.

"We also received a recording in the email that further proves her negligence," he said, "This aspect is the very reason why your marriage with Mr. Cha should push through."

"We have already put it into consideration and have immediately stripped your mother of her position as CEO with the hopes of you taking her place," he explained, "But, you are young and your age will make people question of your abilities as CEO especially because you ought to continue your education while acting as the CEO of this company."

"Now to cover all those doubts you have to marry Mr. Cha as soon as possible and finally set in stone the partnership to reassure the staff, the people, and the media that you are a capable CEO that can bring this company to a brighter future," Mr. Song said and I bit my lip in frustration.

It has really come to this. I watched as he handed me papers then said, "Just sign the papers Ms. Kyong and the company is yours."

My hands quivered as I hesitantly took a pen and placed it right above the place where I need to sign.

I will finally be free from my mother's grasp. But at what cost?

This may seem just like a business deal but this was a game of hearts.

If I sign this, it would be for the greater good but that means I would have to finally let him go.

Haewon, pull yourself together, life is not always going to give you what you want.

Our decisions affect our future and this decision leads to the best version of the future.

My life wasn't the only thing hanging on this decision but as well as the company staff and many many patients who needs cures.

The pen felt heavier now than ever and pens are not even supposed to be heavy .

I closed my eyes and imagined the life I wanted.

I would graduate valedictorian and see someone special smiling at me as I receive my diploma and medal.

I see Jungkook smiling and it warms my heart. Then I get off stage and rush up to him and he sweeps me in his arms and congratulates me with a passionate kiss.

Then we'd settle into a penthouse where we live together and I'd be the CEO of my company while he was the CEO of his.

He'd propose to me and we would get married. We would start a family and we would grow old and gray and eventually pass on our companies to our children.

But this was an impossible future. The circumstances I was in made this future impossible.

I then signed the papers, no longer with hesitation. The board of directors congratulated me and I excused myself to make a call.

I quickly went to my mother's private office and locked it then made the call.

Fortunately, the person answered immediately.

Jungkook: I swear if this is some prank call-

Haewon: Jungkook it's me

Jungkook: Oh Haewon! Perfect! I was just going to tell you that I sent anonymous email and it should get your mother fired and-

Haewon: You sent that email?

Jungkook: Yes I did-

Haewon: Do you realize what you have done?! Jungkook what you've done is that you've forced my hand and made me CEO At the age of F*Cking 18 and I simultaneously have to study!

Jungkook: Haewon I-

Haewon: No no no, you don't get to say anything Jungkook! I told you stay out of it and look at where I am now! There's no getting out of this and I have to marry Eunwoo within a month, so if you know any better you either stay away from the wedding or attend with civility.

I ended the call and sank to the ground crying as the weight of the situation finally got to me.

Why does life always f*ck me over?!

Then I heard a knock on the office door and I said, "I'm kind of busy right now."

"Haewon, it's me, Eunwoo," he said and I hesitantly opened the door and saw a distressed looking Eunwoo in front of me.

He deftly took my hands in his and said, "Kyong Haewon, if you have any qualms about marrying me then tell me now before this all goes to sh*t."

"Eunwoo that's not fair, this is very complicated," I said but he shook his head and said, "It's simple, because I don't want us to be married but your heart lies somewhere else and it wil continually make a rift between us."

I shook my head and said, "No, there's nothing, I'm okay with this."

I'll grow to be okay with this.

I'll try to be okay.