27: Eternal Flame

K.H

And months turned to years.

Jungkook avoided me like the plague, well, Lisa made him avoid me.

But truthfully so, it was probably for the best. If he was in pain then I was too. He was still my research partner for class back then and the experience was nothing short from excruciating sadness.

The look on his face always told me that he had so much to say but he always kept his lips shut to my dismay. Every time we laughed about something that seemed funny, the laughter would cut short as we realized that these moments were temporary and would eventually just become distant memories.

The one thing I hated about life was circumstances. No matter how capable you are to get something you want, circumstances was life's trump card against you. It coerces you to change your decisions.

Worst of all, it forced me to abandon my feelings for him.

The heart is biologically an organ that pumps blood and keeps you alive by doing so. Figuratively, the emotions, the feeling of love that it pumps throughout your body is what keeps you alive.

With every hug, every compliment, every kindness, and every kind word, it pumps love. But even with the mere brush of my fingers against his and my heart beats twice as fast. I lose focus and I become enraptured by his presence.

As soon as the research project was over. He avoided me and again circumstances pulled me even farther from him. I was forced to take advanced classes along with Eunwoo and we graduated earlier than the rest.

I was 21 when I graduated and officially sat at my very own office as the CEO of Kyong Laboratories.

My mother was furious already at the fact that I got her job at the age of 18 but she was even more furious now that her office was renovated to become mine.

The plaque on the door now clearly said:

경 해원
Kyong Haewon
CEO

M

y mother didn't take it lightly. She tried to threaten me by trying to set our mansion on fire but it didn't end well for her. I had her arrested and she was eventually put to prison for attempted arson.

I had them run a health check on her just to make sure she had no mental illnesses, and to my dismay she had none. I wanted to believe that she didn't want to hurt me or dishonor my father's memory but turns out she was just a malicious person.

A malicious person who lost her sense of self because of money. I was filled with hatred for her but I told myself I couldn't hold onto that hate anymore.

My hate clouded my judgement. How did I know this? It's because if I haven't spent so much time loathing Jungkook for something he didn't mean to do, I wouldn't have this future.

A future so filled with pressure.

As one of the youngest CEOs to ever exist in South Korea, let alone a female CEO, all eyes were on me. From expecting breakthrough cures and cheaper medicine from the masses, there was massive pressure.

I thought it only stopped at that. I thought the pressure was only because of me being CEO. But the media caught a whiff of my marriage. Truthfully, there was nothing wrong with my marriage with Eunwoo. In fact we were happy but the media loved to pick on our marriage.

When we both graduated, not only did I take the seat as CEO of my company but so did Eunwoo for his company. Together we helped our companies soar in terms of helping hospitals and finding cures.