015

CHAPTER FIFTEEN:

CHAPTER FIFTEEN:

"how does he know all about celtic symbols and druids?" allison asked her grandfather.

"know thy enemy, allison. the older wolves had a relationship with the druids. they called them emissaries." gerard said.

"like my boss, deaton." scott said as gerard got up from his wheel chair.

"do you know the myth of lycaon?" gerard asked as they followed him over to a book that he was flipping through.

"i know its where we get the word lycanthropy." scott said.

"according to myth, some greek citizens believed they owed their lives more to prometheus than to the gods of olympus. and some followers even took names to honor the titans instead of the gods." gerard explained.

"the son of prometheus. lycaon didn't just refuse to honor the gods. he challenged them. he invited zeus to a banquet and then tried to serve him the flesh of a human being. angered, zeus blew the place apart with lighting bolts and then punished lycaon and his sons by turning them into wolves. the part that's lesser known is how lycaon sought out the druids to help turn him back to human." gerard said as he showed them pictures in his book.

"why druids?" scott asked.

"the belief was that the ancient druids knew how to shape shift. they couldn't make lycaon and how sons human again, but they did teach them how to shift back and forth. and so that druids became important advisors to the packs." gerard told them.

-

"they keep us connected to humanity. but they're a secret even in the pack. sometimes only the alpha knows who the emissary is. derek and i had no idea about deaton." cora said to stiles and marcie.

"or his sister, morell." peter added.

"she's an emissary too, isn't she?" marcie asked.

"for the alpha pack." peter replied.

"our guidance counselor? why the hell don't you people tell us any of this stuff. huh? i shared some really intimate details with her." stiles said.

"and did she give you good advice?" cora asked.

"actually, yeah." stiles replied.

"that's what they do. that's what deaton used to do for talia." peter said.

talia was part of the hale family. she was derek's mother and peters sister.