042

CHAPTER FOURTY TWO:

CHAPTER FOURTY TWO:

derek was healing the twins after they were attacked by some people in the woods.

"should be fine in a couple of hours. unless whoever shot you manages to find you again." derek said.

"lydia and marcie are with scott. we need to go." aiden told his brother.

"are you gonna try to convince them to go with you?" derek asked.

"i'm gonna try and convince them to run and hide. like any sane person would do." aiden replied.

"and danny?" derek asked ethan.

"allison's dead. stiles is dying. what do you think?" ethan asked him.

"i think danny won't believe you. and marcie would never run and hide." derek said.

"because of stiles?" aiden asked.

"because of scott. same with lydia. you've been trying to find a way into his pack. trying to earn his trust, trying to fight for him. but you've had it wrong the whole time. you don't fight for a leader. you fight for a leaders cause." derek told them.

"what cause?" aiden asked.

"scott's always been about one thing. saving his friends. he will do anything and everything to save the people he cares about. when there's no chance of winning, he keeps fighting. when all hope is lost, he finds another way. and when he's beaten down, he stands up again. you want to earn a place in his pack? you want redemption? find another way to stand and fight." derek told them.

-

"stiles and kira said it was the nemeton that kept it trapped." scott told deaton.

"the problem is this isn't even a person you're fighting. it just looks like one. it's a spirit that's taken the shape of a human." deaton explained.

"the shape of my best friend." scott said.

"the shape of my boyfriend." marcie mumbled.

"someone caught it once. someone can do it again, right?" lydia asked.

"i don't know. this thing was trapped a long time ago, before the nemeton was cut down. it doesn't have the same power anymore." deaton replied.

"is there anything that does?" scott asked.

"possibly. when the tree was whole, it's wood was sometimes used to contain powerful objects. but those objects are very rare." deaton told her.