Chapter 16

“Why is she calling you at 6 in the morning?” Luke asked. I shrugged my shoulders looking down at my phone.

“I’ll be right back.” I turned on my heels and walked out of the room calling my mother.

“Oh thank god.” My mother said over the phone. Her voice was full of panic.

“What’s wrong?” I asked, a sudden panic coming over me.

“It’s Kylie.” My heart sped up. “She was in an accident.”

“Mum, what kind of accident?” I yelled into the phone.

“She was found at the side of the road at 4 in the morning. She is in a coma so we don’t know how it happened.” She started crying. “She broke her ribs and collar bone and she has bruises all over her Hailey!” She said it so fast that I could barley understand what she was saying.

She’s going to ok though right?” I slide my back down the wall and sat on the cold floor.

“They don’t know. The doctors said she is touch and go, she has a 60% chance of waking up but, there’s still a 40% chance that she wont. She is having trouble breathing because of her ribs s she is on life support.” Tears were streaming down my face.

“I’m coming home. Tonight.” I hung up the phone and punched the floor. My knuckles were throbbing and they were all red. I sat up and walked back into the room still crying.

“Hails are you ok?” Calum asked. I walked right past him and to Luke, I crashed into him and cried even harder when his arms went around me.

“Hailey, what happened.” The room was silent now, I felt all eyes on me and the only noise that was being made was me trying to breath. I pulled away from Luke a minute later and looked up at him; he was wiping the tears away from my cheeks.

“I’m going home.” I cried.

“What?” All the boys said at once.

“Kylie was in an accident. She’s in a coma and they don’t know if she’s going to make it. I’m going to get a flight tonight.” Luke pulled me into him again.

“I’ll come with you to the airport.” Luke said. I nodded my head that was still buried on his chest.

“Do you want us to come too?” Michael asked. I pulled out of Luke’s arms and walked up to Michael who engulfed me in a hug.

“No, you guys stay here. Thank you though.” I gave him a kiss on the cheek and gave Cal and Ash a hug as well. “Take care of my boys while I’m gone.” I said to the 1D boys.

“We will.” Harry said standing up and giving me a hug. “Give her our best wishes.” I thanked him and said goodbye to the rest of the boys. Luke and I walked back to the bus and called a cab to come get us. I packed a week worth of clothes; I didn’t know how long I would be back home for, hopefully she would be awake when I get there.

“The cab is here.” Luke said coming into the room. The cab ride was silent, Luke was holding my hand the whole time and tracing small circles with his thumb.

“Thank you.” I whispered to him. When we got the airport I was so tired, I bought my ticket for the plane that left in two hours. Luke and I sat together for a good hour until I had to go through security and all that.

“I love you.” Luke said.

“I love you.” I said back; he leaned down and kissed me with so much passion and love that it made my heart hurt. “I’ll be back soon, hopefully.”

“Positive thoughts.” He said to me with a sad smile on his face. I gave him one last kiss then went to catch my flight.

______________________________

It felt good to be home, my mum came and picked me up from the airport and drove me back to her place where I was currently having a shower. It was also weird being here, I haven’t been to this house, even though it was still my house, in almost a year. After I was dressed mum drove me to the hospital to see Kylie, my breath caught in my throat when I saw her, she looked to be in so much pain. I sat and talked to her the whole day that day; about living on the road and about how Luke and I were now dating, just like how she guessed. For the next two weeks I pretty lived at the hospital; one day when I was reading out loud to Kylie the machine that kept track of her heart beat stopped beeping, it was just one long beep. My heart sank; I looked up from my book and stared at her, her chest wasn’t moving. I didn’t cry, I sat in my seat and stared at her. When the nurse came on to take her bed out I finally got up and walked out to my car. I sat in my car for a few minutes before I called Luke.

“Hello?” Luke’s voice was groggy, it was 4am where he was.

“Hi baby.” I said in a whisper.

“Hailey.” He sounded more alert now. “What’s up babe? How are you? How’s Kylie?”

“She died Luke, right in front of me.” I heard Luke sigh.

“I’m sorry Hail, I’m so so sorry.”

“I want to vomit.”

“I know.”

“I miss you.” A single tear fell from my eye.

“I miss you too baby, go home and try to rest. I love you.”

“I love you too.” I hung up and drove him in silence. When I got home I slept for a good fourteen hours. I was dead to the world and that’s how I liked it.