Up Close And Personal

When the elevator finally reached ground level Kai pushed me away lightly.

I didn't hesitate to walk out, but I forgot the dangerously slender high heels I was wearing, and I stumbled forward. Someone caught me from behind. It was Kai. 

He held onto my arms to break my fall. When he pulled me back, I moved a little too far forward, and we were facing each other. I could tell we had an audience: Nathan and the lady with the stacks of papers. Kai let me go, but not too forcefully. He just cleared his throat and moved around me. Nathan tapped my shoulder and I followed him out.

This was only suppose to happen in movies...

I held my face and after Nathan helped the lady to the counter with her documents, he followed me out to the front. People were paying their respects to Kai when we came out. 

I noticed there was only one car.

The driver opened the car for Kai while Nathan looked around our surroundings.

"Where is...?" I said.

"He's running a bit late. There was an accident on the highway," the other driver announced. Kai went into the car, as usual.

"I can wait Nathan," I said as Nathan looked at his watch.

"But he'll be hitting rush hour by then... you can drive with us today. I'll text him to let him know he can go home early instead,"

"What?" I said, a little baffled by his sudden decision. The driver then opened the passenger side. "I think that's a little--"

"You can ride with us," there was an assertiveness to Nathan that disturbed me a little. His gentle nature and candidness on top, but a 'don't try me' bold personality underneath. I didn't dare object. 

I walked over to the passenger side, but he reached out and put his hand on the door. 

"I'm afraid I'm not feeling too well," he held onto his stomach for effect and then concluded, "I'll sit in the front today..." I stared at him and then glared.

"Why are you...?" he smiled deviously. There was something more to this. He re-opened the back seat door and told Kai, "to move over." Nathan then grabbed my hand lightly and told me to get in. 

I paused and then decided to comply. 

When I came in Kai looked at me wide-eyed. He had just moved over to the other side of the car. I didn't know what else to say. He just huffed a little and look out of the window. Nathan shut the door behind me. Whatever the hell kind of plan he had I was going to scold him at the house. He got into the car shortly after.

I looked the opposite way just as Kai had. We had been driving for twenty minutes and Nathan smiled and exhaled, "maybe we should carpool like this more often...it's also good for the planet."

"No!" me and Kai shouted in unison. Nathan smiled brightly. I could see through the side mirror he was enjoying this. I looked at Kai briefly as he did, and then we both looked away.

After the long drive we both went inside the house. For once, James was home. He was eating cereal from a bowl, walking past the foyer to go back to his room. He observed us walking in together and his eyebrow raised. I didn't want him to misunderstand, but if I said something now Kai might blow his top. Instead, Nathan came in after us.

"Oh, James! You're home early. We rode home together because there was a disruption with Hazel's driver," James nodded, still looking uninterested. I told myself I wouldn't lash out at Nathan for forcing me to ride home together with them because of his save there. After Kai took off his shoes he walked forward. I didn't know where he was going, but I needed to prepare for the final meeting tomorrow before our presentation...

*

Later that night I went to the kitchen to eat some dinner. When I did, I saw that Kai had been sitting down eating by himself. 

I tried leaving the kitchen, but Edna, who appeared out of nowhere was now behind me, nudging me forward. I tried to leave in desperation but she insisted I eat something downstairs since I already came all this way. 

Instead of sitting down, even though we were far apart from one another, I picked up my plate and left the room as soon as I saw that Edna wasn't there.

Upstairs, I felt safer in my room. I ate the meal she prepared for me and then went downstairs to wash my dishes...

While I finished, I hadn't noticed that Kai came into the kitchen again for something.

When I turned the water off and dried my hands, I saw that the fridge was open and didn't think much of it.  I grabbed my water bottle I put to the side earlier and just as I saw the fridge shut I saw Kai.

Sweat streaming down from his temples, with his water bottle arched in the air –-gulping down the water he just filled his container with. He must have been working out at the home gym. He had a tight shirt on, which defined his muscles. His body was a lot more toned than I thought it was.

More than shocked, especially considering how close I was to him earlier, I was a little distraught by how aware I was of his body. I dropped my water bottle, and it landed on my foot. It was stainless steel so of course it hurt. 

I cursed out loud and he stopped drinking. He looked over at me a little concerned. I couldn't believe the number of times we had met today. He had approached me and when I looked up I staring into his chest. My heart couldn't take it. I spun around while holding onto my toe.

"I'm fine! Just a little careless of me..." I nervously laughed and grabbed my water bottle while leaning over. I then walked, a little hunched over. Before I left he had walked over and stopped me from leaving. I stood up, limping slightly.

"Let me be clear about something," I looked up at him. He looked like he was carefully choosing his words as they fell from his mouth, "as long as you don't interrupt our lives beyond what is expected of your duties at Ravenwolf, I don't intend to obstruct you."

I looked at him, seeing his sincerity. Was this a truce even before the meeting?

"So, you're saying?..."

"I'm saying... I still don't trust you... but..." he stepped forward. We were only inches apart from one another now, "there is no reason to continue belittling you... unless you do something to change that. Or your façade is exposed... because I'll be watching you closely now..."

Was he lowering his guard? Why? I looked up at him confused. Had Nathan be talking to him? Reporting to him about all the work I had been doing? I could appreciate the attempt for being on my side... since it seemed like he was mulling over it... I could finally reach some middle ground with the man I thought was only capable of being a tyrant. 

For him to let go of his ego a little to talk to me like this... I wanted to accept that.

"Alright, I'll respect those conditions," he exhaled and then went back to grab his water bottle. He left the room and I stood there shocked. Progress? With the one person I thought I would have the hardest to convince I wasn't the spawn of hell come to unleash pain and suffering onto his family? 

I actually felt a twinge of relief. I held my hand to my heart, thinking about how it was worth going into the company. Even if it terrified me...

When I got back to my room I decided to take it easy for the rest of the night. My focus, energy, and whatever heart I could muster up to finish the presentation with the team tomorrow, as strongly as possible...