Bitter/Sweet Memories

Later that evening Kai and I had dinner together.

I thought he would take me to a fancy restaurant where I knew I would undoubtedly feel out of place, but I was pleasantly surprised... he brought me to an Izakaya.

When I asked him why he brought me here he told me that his mother liked this place and my heart softened a little...

I couldn't believe I could be happier than I was yesterday but I was... every time we were together there was something incredibly magnetic between us. It made me appreciate every moment I was able to spend with him.

*

We ordered some drinks with our ramen and then we had some casual conversations about work and repairs needing to be done at the house. After some time we ordered dessert.

"Do you... like this place?" he asked.

"I like it a lot... we should come here again..." I smiled when he reached over to hold onto my hand.

*

Another month at Ravenwolf passed by... and it was already the end of April.

We all celebrated Charlie's birthday at the small venue that Jackson introduced me to before that fateful trip to Paris...

Charlie was able to perform with a band he was invited to join a while ago so he played guitar happily on stage... seeing him in his element was quite an amazing sight.

The day after his party, while I was in the kitchen helping Edna make dumplings, I received a phone call.

I wondered who it was and since it was an unknown number I considered ignoring it. But for some reason... this time, I felt compelled to answer it. So I excused myself and someone on the other end told me that they were calling from a hospital near where my aunt lived...

"She is being treated after having a moderate heart attack... you were the only contact on her next of kin list..."

I almost dropped my phone after hearing the news...

I knew I couldn't avoid seeing my aunt forever... but it had been so long since I last saw her...

Just when I thought I was living in a sweet bubble with Kai...

"Hazel... sweetie... is everything alright?" I turned to look at Edna who had followed after me when I hadn't returned.

I wondered how long I had been standing in the same spot for.

"I... have to go."

"Go? Go where, child?" I looked at her worried expression and I shook my face a little. "You look like you saw a ghost... hurry, sit... I'll go make you some ginger tea."

Edna led me over to the living room and I sat down. She caressed the side of my face a little.

"I'll be right back, okay?" before she left I unconsciously reached out to hold her hand...

For a moment, it had felt like I was a child again.

Back at my aunt's house and that terrified me.

I never wished any harm towards her, but she still instilled this kind of reaction in me even after all this time...

Edna stood in place while I leaned towards her. Edna let my head rest against her body while she gently soothed the top of my head...

I wasn't alone anymore...

I had Edna, Rae, Kai, and everyone at Ravenwolf to support me.

After some time, I calmed down and gathered my senses. Without asking me any questions, Edna had sat down next to me and started warming my hands up in hers.