Fear Of Change

I nearly fell forward after what I heard.

I covered my mouth to prevent a gasp that was trying to escape from my lips...

Mackenzie...

She was the only one I could think of right now.

I looked over my shoulder and carefully watched Cassandra move towards the bay window and I slowly crawled out of the kitchen at the speed of a turtle...

When it felt like I was in the clear I ran quickly through the hallways and then up the staircase.

I tried processing the information once again when I got inside my room. Before I knew it I started pacing back and forth anxiously...

So, it was only recently that Nathan find out Kenz was his biological daughter?

Now that I knew a little more about Nathan I understood why he decided to keep this hidden. I couldn't even begin to imagine how much pain and devastation was in his heart when he found out since he also didn't have Henry in his life until he was much older...

My thoughts began to spiral as I laid awake at night.

I wondered how this would affect Mackenzie and if she would ever find out given the circumstances. 

She would probably feel betrayed by her mother or feel scared and unsure about the situation. Maybe she would start resenting Nathan?

I didn't know if I could do anything and that was also very frustrating...

*

Since I couldn't sleep well at night I decided to roll out of bed at 7am.

When I walked downstairs to make something to eat I looked at my phone in regret. I started smacking it as though it had done something unforgivable.

"This is all your fault..." I mumbled while walking into the kitchen. I didn't realize Edna was already there... and she was watching me smacking my phone.

"Are you alright, dear?"

I looked up at her and laughed nervously... how embarrassing. Of course Edna would already be downstairs.

"It just randomly shut off on me..." Edna nodded and she started brewing fresh coffee.

"Oh, I bought that new creamer you recommended. The boys like it."

I was now sitting on one of the bar stools and reaching out for a banana to eat.

"The Califia one?" Edna smiled and opened the fridge. There were several large almond-based creamers stocked.

"I'm glad..." I laughed while Edna winked at me.

"I got a pretty good bargain..." I held onto my phone tightly before setting it on the counter. Edna walked over to the marble island to start peeling and cutting fruit and she noticed my phone had turned on.

"I suppose it's working again?"

"Yes...finally!!" I looked over at it, acting 'surprised.'

"Sometimes... if we think something is broken...we just need to remind ourselves it just needs a little time, right?" I pressed my lips together and lifted my elbows up on the counter.

"Yes..."

Edna's smile was warm... she always had an incredible way of knowing what to say maybe intentionally or unintentionally...

Moments later she handed me a fresh cup of coffee with the creamer I liked and she patted my back gently a few times before returning to make breakfast.