Far Far Away On A Tropical Island...

A week passed but the same nightmare persisted.

Sometimes I couldn't sleep through the night and sometimes I would hear noises that would be triggering for me. I didn't know what else to do... I didn't want to take any medication again... and I was wary of seeing a therapist.

Digging up one dark memory was like falling down the rabbit hole. You don't open up one trauma without others opening up.

I knew I would be able to get over this instantly but it was starting to chip away at me emotionally...

                                                                                           ***

On day after completing some laps in the pool to clear my thoughts I got a message from Nathan. He told me that he wanted to give me something. He said he would drop it off later. So later in the evening when he came back from work he walked me over to the kitchen and gave me my 'flight itinerary.' He told me he arranged a flight to their vacation home in The Bahamas.

I knew I shouldn't be surprised by the luxurious vacation homes the rich have but this seemed like it would be literal paradise. An expensive one at that. I tried to refuse but Nathan insisted. He said that this would be a good time for me to detach, recharge, and spend some quality time relaxing --away from here.

I knew Nathan meant well but in reality people like me wouldn't be able to do something as extravagant as this. Especially considering how privileged you'd have to be to suddenly vacation when you're feeling upset. I mean most people struggle to afford or find a good psychiatrist that won't treat them like a pharmaceutical dumpster.

I couldn't help but think about my 'status' as a working woman. Someone who never in a million years thought she would be in this position, let alone being told I could spend a week in a private vacation home.

It felt a bit like I was daydreaming... maybe this entire experience so far was just a dream. And I would wake up in my cozy apartment making warm latte's...

When I took some time to 'process' Nathan's offer I talked with Edna about it. She told me that I should go and take my time to relax. James and even Kenz had the same answer... so I shrugged off my general feelings about the trip and told Nathan I would at least pay him back for the flight one day to which he was against.

Then I flew out the next day...

I told Rae I would take some time off and she didn't question me at all. She just assumed I had a 'terrible' experience when someone tried to break into the store. And if I needed space... she would respect that.

When I was being driven to their vacation home I rolled down the windows... I felt the warm, summer-like breeze pressing against my skin. It was nice to be away from the cold weather back home...

There were palm trees lined up along the street we were driving and a clear, beautiful view of the ocean on the opposite side. It looked like a sparkly, aquamarine colour...

When we arrived I stepped out of the car and walked over to the vacation house... inside, the AC was already on full blast. It felt heavenly. I rolled my luggage to one of the rooms on the lower level and tried to 'take in' the place. It had high ceilings and contemporary decor.

There was a staircase leading up to the second level in front of the house. There was a balcony-like area on the second floor overlooking the living room. The flooring was a beautiful, cherry oak and there were portraits of flowers all over the place. Daisies, roses, orchids...

I travelled over to the kitchen. It was predominantly white and black. The counter tops were marble and the centre island was empty with the exception of an espresso machine in the middle and a little succulent plant next to it. I walked over to the living room where there was a screen door leading out to the deck. There was a hammock in-between two palm trees and a gorgeous view of the ocean.

I didn't do much exploring of the house after that. I assumed there was a full-size bar somewhere. Probably more rooms upstairs... but I just wanted to get into that 'relaxation mode' where I could temporarily forget about my problems?

I put on my bathing suit and sat out by the ocean. I had opened up a lawn-chair and an umbrella so that I could read by the water.

I must say... even after an hour of reading... I was still taken aback by my surroundings. Everything was so lovely...

There was a sudden feeling of peace that I hadn't had in a while...

So when I fell asleep and felt truly well-rested when I woke up I wondered how much stress would roll off my shoulders this week. It seemed promising...

When I decided to go back in and get a snack I could hear some movement in the house. I closed the screen door slowly behind me since I was a little surprised. Nathan did tell me he hired someone to come and take care of the groceries for me... so I just assumed it was someone who had access to the house...

But I was still nervous. My heart began to race a little so I tried finding something that would protect me. After some quiet searching I found a wooden baseball bat. I exhaled, lifted it up into the air and crept forward.

The noise was coming from the hallway now.

I got closer and closer...

And when I turned the corner I shouted out loudly while drawing the bat forward. I closed my eyes.

When I opened them Kai was standing there.