By Her Side

After some time, Charlie and Kai were invited to go and see Hazel in her room. 

She was sleeping soundly. Charlie immediately rushed over to her and held onto her hand. He looked at the large bandage on her arm and his finger traced over it.

"Kai... you have to make those guys pay for what they did, okay?" Kai walked over beside him and draped his arm around his shoulder, lightly patting the side of his arm. He sighed, thinking about how James and Nathan were already on this matter...

Kai went back to sit on one of the chairs at the side, flipping through his messages. Charlie, on the other hand, slept right beside Hazel on the bed. When another hour passed, Kai walked over and shook Charlie awake. Telling him that he should go home and get some rest. He'll stay for a bit and then he can come back later. Even though he protested a bit, Kai called for their driver and encouraged him to head home, which he did.

While Hazel slept, he sat across from her.

He saw some movement on the bed and walked over to her. She was mumbling in her sleep. He looked a little closer at her injured arm and brought his hand closer to her wound. While lightly hovering his fingertips over the bandage, he could only imagine how much it must have hurt...

Despite knowing how dangerous it was, she did her best to protect Charlie. Even if he understood that, Kai was still frustrated. Even if she saved him, this was really too much.

Kai sat on the chair that Charlie previously occupied and looked intently at Hazel as she slept.

"I'm... sorry..." she mumbled. 

Kai looked up at her, curious about what she was spewing out. 

"Don't... go...don't..." when he sat up again he saw a tear trickle down her cheek. He reached over to her and hesitated. After a few seconds passed, he reached over to wipe them away. He was close enough to see her long, dark eyelashes.

When he looked over at her face, he recalled the time they fell down together on Jackson's bed. There were times they were actually really close... too close. He sat back down again and cleared his throat.

He looked down at his phone and noticed that Nathan had messaged him. 

He had 'wrapped up' the business he needed to attend to with James and was already heading back to the hospital. Hazel groaned again, moving her other arm out from under the blanket. Kai looked over and then leaned in to put her arm underneath the covers, but what he didn't expect next was her reflexes.

"Don't..." she mumbled, swinging her arm in his direction, slapping her hand on his cheek.