A Small Cloud In My Heart

"Can I join you two?" I looked over and saw Nathan standing by the entrance of the kitchen. Mackenzie and I were eating breakfast together... my mouth dropped a little, but I composed myself and simply nodded.

"Edna made spiced apple pie oatmeal..." Kenz said, while smiling.

"My favourite..." I watched Nathan walk over to comfortably sit next to Mackenzie. She showed him something on her phone and he pat the top of her head playfully.

Was I hallucinating? I didn't realize I still had my spoon inside my mouth when Kenz asked me if I was okay.

"The weather is nice today..." I said, while looking down at my bowl. I stirred some of the berries together... then I couldn't help but smile...

I suppose they had reconciled...

After we finished eating Nathan helped Edna clean the dishes. Kenz leaned over and tugged my shirt to get my attention.

"Thanks..." I grinned at her a little before she hopped off her seat and told everyone to have a good day. She left to get ready for school...

Nathan then walked over to sit next to me. He had gotten another cup of coffee for himself...

"She seemed to be happy this morning... I wonder why..." I said while sipping on my tea. Nathan half-smiled while lifting up his coffee mug to drink...

"I suppose so..."

A few minutes later Nathan met Kai at the bottom of the steps in the foyer and the two headed out for work.

I watched them from afar... thinking about how finally the waters had settled...

***

Time flew by, and before I knew it, the month of May was over...

I spent more time at the art studio because one of our co-worker's was on maternity leave and Rae couldn't take on more classes because she was taking a few courses at a College nearby for Graphic Design. She said she just wanted to try something new...

James was volunteering diligently at the hospital he was familiar with, Charlie spent more time outside of the house practicing with his band.

Jackson also unexpectedly went to Milan to work with a friend, who was a well-known designer, on some limited edition shoes. Jackson wasn't too keen on going, but after I told him it would be a great opportunity for him to grow a little, he decided he would go. Effectively postponing our dinner...

So by the time June came around, everything felt like it was in bloom for not only the people in this house, but also around Ravenwolf manor. We had a beautiful lush garden in the back that was flourishing, and long luscious grass across the yards... there were birds singing gloriously around the mansion and now a working fountain on the property. 

It looked like a real President of a country lived here...

Although time kept moving forward, the anniversary of the Ravenwolf's sons' parents death was around the corner... alongside Kai's birthday, which would be the week after.

Kai had invited me to go with him to visit his parents graves, so we went together early in the morning...

Jackson had also returned home to pay his respects... he decided he would stay home unless they needed him to fly back...

At the grave site, Kai laid flowers over each of their resting places before bowing politely in respect. I followed after and he held my hand.

"Mom... dad... I know its been a while but I'm here... I wanted to tell you both that I love you... and that I hope... I hope I can continue to make you proud of me...." I reached over to gently touch the top of his other arm while he spoke. 

He closed his eyes for a moment while I looked over at the engravings on their tombstone... in my heart, I told them both I would take care of their son...

"I also have to share something with you... mom, dad... this is my partner. Her name is Hazel... and although I didn't welcome her very well into Ravenwolf at first... right now, she's the one person I love the most in the world..." I smiled while gently leaning my head on his shoulder.

"I won't be afraid to come and see you anymore... and I won't feel as guilty each time... as much as I can..."

While he spoke a burst of sunlight kissed our faces... feeling the warmth from this embrace... made me feel like his parents were truly here with him... 

"It's nice to finally meet you both..." I said while taking 2 small roses I cut from the stems from my pocket... I put them over their graves while I spoke... Kai seemed touched by this and smiled at me...

I left his side so that he could have some private time with them. While I waited for him in the car I saw a group of people walking towards their grave... Charlie, James, Jackson, and Nathan were together, holding bouquets of flowers.

I closed my eyes... thinking about how far those men have come in barely a year...

*

Kai and I drove around a little before we went back to the mansion.

When we arrived, Edna and Mackenzie had been cooking a lot... so we sat down together to eat... we were shortly followed by the rest of the family when they got back. When Jackson spotted me he immediately sat next to me.

"Did you miss me?" I used my finger to push back his forehead. He had been leaning into me a little too much... I was hyper aware of Kai, who was sitting opposite of me now.

"Jackson... sit up properly" Kai said, a little coldly. Jackson pouted a little and then returned to eating his meal.

"You're still good for that promise we made, right?" Jackson whispered to me.

"Just message me the details. Shh..." I whispered back. I heard cutlery clatter and when I turned to look at Kai, he was wiping his mouth with a napkin...

Why did he look a little agitated?