Like Cinderella

It felt like I lost several years off of my life. 

I held my chest in agony... what had I done? In shock after what I did I raced towards my room. I opened the door and closed it behind me.

Now... what is the likelihood that he went back to the office all night, or stayed somewhere else in the house without coming back to his room?

0.003%. Definitely. I brought my hands to my face and then walked over to my bed and sat down.

"I'm such a... how could I... how could I..." I repeated to myself. How could I have made such a mistake? Just because I was exhausted? Come on now...

This was cringe-worthy...

I was speechless about what I did... how would I be able to face him? After what happened between us? And now I did this accidentally?

Before I had any more time to process what had happened my phone rang. It was Nathan. I picked it up.

"Sorry for reaching out to you this early, Hazel."

"No problem, Nathan... what's up?"

"I was wondering if you could pick up Charlie and James' suits for the charity event tonight?" my eyes widened... for all the chaos that had been happening recently. I totally forgot about this event...

"Yes! No problem!"

"They'll have them ready for 10am. We just have an unexpected meeting with a client. We will brief you later."

"Oh, so you're--"

"Yes, Kai is with me..." I didn't want to know what happened last night. I wanted to remain oblivious about it for as long as I possibly could.

"I left the driver with the address so he'll be able to take you there. Our hair stylist and makeup artist team will also arrive around 3pm to start getting you ready... Hazel?"

I was zoned out again for a moment.

"Oh, yes, of course!"

"Is everything alright?" I bit my lower lip again.

"Yes, of course!" I said that twice already. I smacked my forehead... what was I doing? Act cool... just act cool. "I'll see you there later..."

"Yes... if you have any questions let me know, alright?"

We both hung up after speaking for a few more seconds. I decided that I would just let things go for now... otherwise, it would consume my thoughts for the rest of the day and for the event at night...

While I waited for the stylist and artist to drop by, I studied the material that Nathan had given me a while ago. The pictures and names of VIP clients, investors, and sponsors. I studied some details about their lives, learned their names, and their titles. I had a photogenic memory so looking over this had been pretty easy to me.

I kept myself busy until the beauty crew arrived. I thought 2 people were coming over, but there were several people armed with large bags. I couldn't believe my eyes when they all walked through the front door. It was like cameras were flashing in their direction with an imaginary breeze.

It felt a little terrifying but also vexing. Did he really think I needed this many people to transform my 'look,' so much? I gritted my teeth together and before I could protest each of them grabbed a limb seemingly and brought me to a 'powder room,' that I didn't know this house even had. I was moved around like a doll. They really meant business.

I couldn't believe the amount of pampering and attention to detail was going on for me.

I had someone give me a mani-pedi. I had a fashion stylist go up to my closet to pick up the dress we decided on in order to make any final adjustments. My hair was conditioned to the point where I didn't recognize the person in the mirror. My makeup, par my request, was natural. I was reluctant to have false lashes on at first, but they looked pretty good...