Unintentional Contact...

When I got down to the lower level my phone started ringing. It was Nathan. 

He asked me where I was going. I told him that usually they would only want me there for meetings and he re-assured me that was not the case.

"Just for today then... I will make it up to you soon. I'm... just not feeling too well."

"Do you need to see a doctor?"

"No! Not at all I just... it will pass. I just need to rest."

"Would you like me to send you home?"

"It's okay, I've already told him I needed a ride home so I'll meet him at the front," the 'usual' driver Walt was considerate of me. He had already left a while ago to run errands for the household but was coming back just for me.

"Alright, then, please take care and let me know if you need anything."

"Yes, of course..."

As we drove home I couldn't help but wonder about what Rae would do in a situation like this.

She always told me to be strong when I was going through a rough patch, but also reminded me that it was okay to reach out when I needed support. And that's how I've lived my life...

So for Charlie to isolate himself in this way it has to be one of many reasons.

Not feeling supported by his family.

Or feeling as though reaching out would be useless because the harassment would continue, or that he wouldn't be believed in the first place, or there was no one he could rely on.

Or it could be the opposite. He cared about his family, enough to not to want to get them involved...

What a situation I got myself in...

I walked straight to my room to get back to painting a commissioned piece I accepted a few days ago to change my pace a little. When I would finish I would try and 'meet' Charlie more officially... I don't know how that would happen, but they say miracles can happen in a flash...

When I decided to take a break from the work I was doing I decided to wait by the staircase around the time he usually got in. I planned it so that when I was walking down the steps, I would be able to meet him 'accidentally.'

However, when he did come in, althought I was prepared to start up a conversation with him, he lowered his head further down and he avoided me once again on the staircase.

"Wait a minute!" I think he was startled that I called out to him so he stopped momentarily, and I thought that was my chance... but he just picked up his pace. I then raced towards him hoping to reach him but he shut his door. I decided to try this time around by knocking on the door but nothing... I tried knocking a few more times.

"Charlie... it's Hazel... can we talk for a moment?" there was more silence... and at that moment I felt a bit defeated. I turned around, letting my head lean back on the door, thinking about what other secrets this kid had...

I sighed and decided to go get something to drink in the kitchen. When I was walking back Kai and Nathan entered the house. I reacted quickly and lowered my head while rubbing my stomach.

"Are you alright?"

Did I overdo it? Nathan was already in front of me holding onto my shoulders.

"Let's go see a doctor, I think it would be best--"

"It's nothing, I promise!" he stared at me, confused, and I motioned for him to come forward.

"It's just a bit of constipation," I wanted to crawl under a rock for a year... I literally had no other excuse in the book. He seemed to 'understand,' and whispered back that he had some 'special natural medicine' to give me if I was blocked up. I cringed and that seemed to worry him more, but I just couldn't believe the elaborate lies I was coming up with on the daily.