A Wild Ride

When I arrived at the filming site, I couldn't believe how beautiful the scenery in the background was. There were gorgeous shades of green in the forestry behind, a clear sky, and a crisp breeze. 

Even though there was a track with a few of the new cars lined up ready for testing, everything just seemed very refreshing.

I met with the director of the commercial, some editors, the main cinematographer, and some of the stunt doubles for the scenes. When Nathan introduced me to the special effects team, I was amazed by how incredible they were. The attention to detail and their way around the technology in front of them was impressive.

I was amazed by the setup and by the execution of the scenes they were capturing. Of course, there were a few laid-back portions, with a scene of a family driving together, but there were two shots where the speed and durability of the car were going to be featured, a few seconds apart from one another.

Nathan had told me that to create footage for even a few moments took quite some time. To find the perfect angle, to retake as needed, and to find a good moment where it would make sense to include it in their commercial.

For a 15 to 20 second commercial that could mean 10 hours or 10 days of work depending on the crew.

They told me that today they hoped it would be their last day of filming.

So I explored, as usual, and asked a few questions here and there, waiting for them to complete a few test drives before filming. 

To watch the cars swerving and making abrupt turns, speeding ahead, and going in reverse. It was thrilling to see. I didn't drive but seeing it in action made me feel like I wanted to.

"You look intrigued... I'm happy," Nathan was standing next to me now. I couldn't believe how beautiful these cars looked. I never would have pictured myself having an appreciation for cars...

"It's quite... amazing to be honest..." Nathan smiled at me, and then he looked over somewhere. I tried to pinpoint where. I thought he was looking out at the horizon. It was becoming a little darker out. They would probably be wrapping up for the day soon.

"Kai once dreamed of being a professional stunt driver."

"Come again?" I couldn't believe what I just heard. "Seriously? But he's the president of a major automotive company..."

"Hmm, but there was a once upon a time when he preferred being on the track more..."

I was a little shocked by this revelation. I had assumed he was groomed to be their heir for Ravenwolf one day... who knew he had this interest...

"But, how come he's--" perhaps it was because there was no one else to take on the responsibility? I only met Gerard a few times and knowing what Cassandra is like I could understand why the old man would trust Kai more. I guess... he needed to give up something precious to be loyal or rather, noble to his grandfather's goodwill?

Unless there was something more?

After another few minutes the director shouted about it being a wrap. Kai walked back towards the both of us, insisting we head out because we were here too late, and Nathan stopped him.

"Why don't you take one of the cars out for a test drive? We can wait."

"Not today..." Kai brushed passed Nathan and I could see Nathan's good intentions dissolve on the spot.

"Maybe next time?" I said and he nodded.

We both came back to the car and we were driven back to the mansion. I couldn't stop thinking about how different Kai would be if he was a stunt driver. Would he be a little less uptight? How would his disposition be? Maybe the same because it's not like he'd have a personality change... but I couldn't help but wonder about how different his life would be if that were the case.

Just like mine.

After all, what would have happened to me if I hadn't met that old man...