Shall We Dance?

"Oh, Luca! How are you, dear? How's your mother doing?"

"She just got back from Spain so she's doing well."

"Lovely, and are you back home to help her with the company?"

"Yes, for now I'm working predominantly within market and trend analysis."

The two of them looked like they were glowing. It felt like I was in a world unlike their own. I smiled politely while trying to slowly move away from the conversation, but he reached out and locked arms with mine playfully.

"I'll be seeing you later then Madam," she waved and he then slowly swung me away from the scene and I looked up at him a little aghast. He brought me to one of the tables I helped design with a unique floral arrangement.

"You looked like you needed someone to bail you out of the situation."

"Excuse me?" I was still unsure of why he was so comfortable being this familiar with me. We had barely met an hour ago and under awkward circumstances. And why would he be the one?

"Oh, yes... by the way, I'm Luca... it's a pleasure to meet you officially," he extended his hand for me to 'shake' and I stared at him still bewildered by his actions.

"Who are you, again?"

"Well, I did just introduce myself... and you must be--"

"I just... wouldn't anyone mutually agree after how we met the first time it would be better avoiding each other from that point on?"

"On the contrary, I think meeting you was fate."

"Fate?" he nodded while smiling.

"Oh, right! I have something for you..." he reached into his pocket to take out something. He handed me a bracelet. It was the one I had been wearing up until he caught onto my dress. I took it from his hand and looked at him. I wasn't sure how long I had been staring at him, but I heard him say, "just like Cinderella," and it was though I could hear records screech in the back of my mind.

"What?"

"I'm sure Kai must be rolling in his proverbial grave."

"Pardon?"

"I hear you are the current heir to Ravenwolf?" I nodded  while he chuckled. "I've been in Europe too long..."

"Not to change the subject because I still don't know you, and I'm not sure what to think of how we met... but how exactly do you know each other?"

"Oh, we used to be very close," he leaned in a little too close to me again and I brought my hand up and pushed him back.

"Have you ever heard of personal space?" he smiled again and tried leaning in but I kept my hand up and it pressed against his chest.

"Well, isn't this my personal space?" I let go and he fixed his jacket. "I believe we will meet again..." he had looked over my shoulder as he said that and I crossed my arms. "I look forward to getting to know you more..." as he walked away, I could feel chills run across the surface of my skin. I didn't want to believe we would meet again, but something told me we would...

When I turned around Kai was approaching me. I stopped mid-step startled.

"What did he say to you?" I looked around and then back at Kai.

"Who?" he looked ahead and I turned to see Luca greeting a swarm of people.

"Luca?" I said and Kai sighed.

"You should avoid that guy as much as possible."

"Why? Does he hold some of your darkest secrets?" Kai glared at me and I couldn't tell if it was a serious or annoyed look. "He just... returned the bracelet you bought me with this ridiculously priced dress," I lifted the bracelet up as though it were the main piece of evidence in my case... he seemed placated by my response.

"Mr. Ravenwolf!" Kai turned to see a boisterous middle-aged man approaching him. This man probably had a little too much wine to drink. He was accompanied by a significantly younger woman. I wanted to say it was his daughter... but a few seconds later they confirmed she was his new wife and was his last minute 'plus one.' He was going to be purchasing this new model as an early birthday gift to her.

Suddenly, a soft but beautiful waltz came onto the playlist designed for the event and it seemed to invoke nostalgia from this man.

"We should dance!" he announced excitedly. His new wife didn't seem too thrilled. This must have been the song of his generation... I chuckled on the inside. I really didn't want to be insensitive about the obvious age difference between the two of them but I'm sure they were in love...

"Please enjoy the rest of your night," Kai said and the middle-aged man grabbed both of his shoulders. Alerted, I thought he was about to swing him onto the dance floor. "You and Miss. Rose must join us!" he then looked at me beaming.

He brought his new wife forward and started leading her into a waltz. She stumbled a little, but slowly adjusted to his steps...

"Is he serious?" I looked at Kai and he was already drawing out his hand.

"For the time being, yes... you'll be my dance partner ..." I stared at his hand a little taken aback.

"I can't dance..."

"Well, you haven't tried yet..." I hesitated, but when I looked over at the man dancing with his wife he was waving us over. I held Kai's hand and he brought me forward.

"Now, you can place your hand on my left shoulder..." I listened closely as he lifted up my right hand with his. After I placed my hand on his shoulder, he placed his left hand near my upper back. "Just imagine... we're taking small steps in a box... it's just a repetition of these simple movements... moving back and then to the right...then left, and we can keep in movement..."

"I'm not really sure..."

"Just trust me..." I looked at him and we slowly started moving... after a few missteps, eventually, I found a rhythm. I was moving around the dance floor with him as though we were on a cloud.

I must have been a little transfixed on our dancing because when I looked up to see Kai's seemingly never-changing expression, his features looked a little softer. For a few moments he looked like an entirely different person. His eyes were a little golden under the lights... I must have let a smile escape from my lips... and regretted it instantly. He looked at me curiously and I cleared my throat.

"Thanks for teaching me something new..." he nodded and we both continued dancing until the end of the song. When it finished he slowed to a stop. Our hands stayed in place and we both stared into each other's gazes. 

It wasn't until the middle-aged man approached us again to compliment our dancing that I realized we weren't alone...