Falling Down The Rabbit Hole

After I realized my feelings for Kai... time flew by relatively quickly.

Although I didn't know what to do next, I was still managing my own heart break. Kai had every right to put some distance between us if he didn't like me the way I liked him. But considering the way he pushed me away... it made me feel a little embarrassed. So I buried myself in art projects and picked up extra shifts at the studio when I could...

*

It was already December and Mackenzie's birthday party had finally arrived. 

Kai had actually made time for this event. 

Even though it was a simple act of affection on his end... it made me fall even deeper in love with his attempts to be there more for his family...

We had an Alice in Wonderland theme and of course Jackson wouldn't shut up about my decision to dress up as the Cheshire cat.

"There's so many characters in that movie and this is what you came up with? You look like a purple fun stick" I hit his back a few times when he was helping me bring some appetizers out into the dining room for Kenz's guests.

"Seriously, aren't you supposed to be helping me?"

"I am..." he laughed through his tears.

After we left the dining room to join the party in the living room Jackson stopped me.

"Wait... you have something near your eyelash..."

"You're lying again," I tried to push him away. Earlier he had said the same thing and pinched my cheek when I thought something was there...

"No, seriously... come on, let me--" I shoved him away a few times while he tried touching my face again. He then wrapped his arms around me and I tried shimming away from him.

"Just what the hell--" I had my foot pressed against his leg until I heard a crunching noise in the distance... I turned to watch a few of Kenz's friends staring at us.

"Are they the ones that Kenz said are dating?" one of them inquired.

"I don't think so. They look like they'll only have a cat and mouse relationship their entire lives..." I gritted my teeth a little and before I said anything Jackson stepped forward.

"Who are you to decide, small fry?" the young kid pointed towards himself. The two of them bantered back and forth and I pulled Jackson away.

"You're so childish..." I had wrapped my arms around him without realizing it. Just when I stepped away he held me closer to his body... while staring down at me seriously... he suddenly blew something away from my face.

"All gone..." I was a little stunned... he moved away from me shortly after he looked up and spotted someone behind me... I turned to see who he was looking at but they were already gone.

"Hazel! Hurry! The cake is next!" I heard Kenz call out to me so I smiled and made my way back to help... when I saw James, who had dressed up as the Mad Hatter, he was telling all of her friends to go back to table.

I silently thanked Rae for helping me find all these costumes... everyone looked so good.

After we ate cake together I helped Edna clean up a little around the house. Kenz and her friends had all went to the game room as their 'main party' event.

I heard the doorbell ring so I went over to answer it. When I did it was someone I was least expecting to show up here.

What was she doing here?