Chapter 20

CHAPTER 20

Even at 2.30 in the morning, I was occupied with my projects. I tried to sleep but I am the kind of person who can't sleep with too many worries in my head. I had always been a little extra worried and conscious about my studies as I have a very strong thirst for the best grades and so far I was always successful but here it seems a little difficult to gain those grades I accustomed to. So instead of sleeping, I woke up again, wore my glasses and resumed my work.

I didn't sleep that night or the past two night and straight away went to my University. In the first lecture, I was very tired, sleepy and most importantly hungry. I had next two classes of mine free so I tried to suppress the violent somersaults inside my stomach but then Tyler took pity on me and volunteered to help me a little so I along with him and Emily, I went to the library.

In the library, it was hard to concentrate on whatever he was saying and as I was not just struggling to stay awake but also suppress my hunger further. I was yawning now and then but continued to work with him.

After an hour, I was dismissed by Tyler from our session and we joined Noah and Jessica in the cafeteria but there was present my source of misery, laughing at something and that added fuel to the fire which was already burning in me. I don't know what happens in me as soon as I see his face. It's a weird kind of annoyance which craves to smack his face in the wall and these cravings just intensify seeing him laugh.

I took my chair in front of Jessica as Tyler went to bring our lunch. Small headache has started erupting from my skull but I ignored as I knew eating something will make it better.

"Are you alright?" Jessica asked me and I nodded taking off my glasses and keeping them aside.

"Just a little tired." I said and I felt Ashton looking at me from the corner of my eyes. He was busy talking to Noah and having his nuggets but it felt as if his entire concentration was on us.

Maybe I was hallucinating from the lack of sleep!

Or maybe I am just overly hungry!

Or maybe I am not wearing my glasses and I can't see things!

"Woah...that's too much." Noah said as Tyler bought us our foods and placed it in the centre. It's wasn't much. It was just 3 burgers for three of us and lots and lots of fries which I can manage to eat all right now.

"You'll make the frump look like a walking nightmare if she eats this." I knew Ashton's comment was directed at me but I chose to ignore and began eating my burger. I was already snappy and I didn't want to ruin the situation by lashing out on an idiot like him.

"These projects are really taking a toll on everyone." Tyler said and I nodded in agreement.

"I can see that." Now, this wasn't directed exactly at me but those rhetorical words felt as if it was an alluding attempt of Ashton to get a reaction from me and he was successful in it.

"Shut up Ashton...if you can't help then better keep your stupid guttery mouth shut." I said completely annoyed with him and he raised a brow.

"And remember I told you not to use that smart mouth when I am not talking to you."

"You think I am a fool? I wouldn't understand that all those comments are for me?" I asked.

"You prove you are a fool. I don't have to use my brain to think over it."

His comment made the poor fry in my hand churn.

"Good cause you don't have any."

"You are the one to act all bitchy every time. I wasn't even talking to you."

"Juvenile is not even enough to describe your behaviour. The assignment is not just mine...it's also yours."

"I fucking don't care. I don't even need any of that shit and especially your shit." His voice grew louder and we started gaining attention from people around.

"You might not need this but my father paid a fortune to send me here and I can't fail him just because a narcissistic idiot is my partner. It might not even make a small dent in the amount of money your father holds but it matters to me so suck it up and start acting mature." I almost yelled and the moment I said it I realized what is happening to my vocabulary.

When did I learn using bad words?

"Poor girl with a sob story. Go ahead and tell everyone but let me warn you nobody is listening." He tsked showing me around which irked me further.

"First get your fact clear Ashton and secondly unlike you we work hard for whatever and wherever we are, so we know the worth of it. Now you won't understand it and neither I have the energy nor I bought crayons with me to make you understand about it."

"You think you are funny?"

"No...a little intelligent from a person like you who has zero I.Q level."

"Hmmm...no wonder why everyone hates you." He mumbled.

"Look Ashton, I am not here to pick up a fight or make an enemy. I am here to study and in this whole process, you became my partner for a project. Partners help each other and I need that help. I have come a long way here and this is important for me, for my family. Somewhere you too need it because I know nobody likes failing. Please, Ashton...one time." My voice mellowed down and I pleaded keeping my entire ego aside but then he smirked and looked into my eyes. He gave me a smile and for a second I was confused but nonetheless, I smiled back. But then very calmly, he continued.

"Too late you already made an enemy. Now the shows over...just fuck off."

And with that, he left making me feel like an idiot. An idiot, who said 'please' to Ashton and hoped that for once we can keep our differences aside and work together.

But no, he has to be mean and stupid and idiot and....

Whatever it was...after today it was proved we weren't meant to work together.