Chapter 21

CHAPTER 21

I was engrossed working on the assignment and staring my laptop screen from hours. Honestly, nothing is making much sense to me but I am still trying to deliver the best I could. I was writing down the important notes in my notebook from my laptop when the sudden blasting of my phone's ringtone made me jump on the chair, I was sitting cross-legged on.

I stared at my phone for a few seconds as if it was some kind of bomb ready to explode and then sighing at my own stupidity, I picked up my phone to see an unknown number flashing on my screen. For a moment I wondered who could it be but then I realized I should better answer the call than making some guess with my already exhausted mind.

"Hello."

"Hello."

I almost drop my phone on the floor as the strange nervousness crawled under my skin on hearing that voice.

"Say something, you dork." Here he goes confirming my thoughts leaving me gobsmacked.

"Ashton?"

"Yes, As-..." He was about to say something but I interjected him.

"How did you get my number and why are you calling me so late at night?"

"You never fail to amaze me with your dumbness." He said and I could imagine him smirking.

"What?" I frowned not able to completely understand his thick British accent. Another problem which I face often here and that is trying to understand people who speak too fast or are with a heavy accent but I am learning and trying to get along. But it's entirely not my problem. Britishers seems to be pronouncing only half of the word and rest gets gargled in their mouth.

Whatever it it, it's hard to underdstand.

"Em...I took your number from her and if you are done with the interrogation can we come straight to the point. I don't have the entire night for this conversation."

"Did someone told you how insolent you are?" I asked him and I heard him titter.

"Almost everyone and it's something I am very proud of."

"Bewakoof." I muttered under me breathe in the language I comfortable in using slangs.

I love my Hindi.

"What did you say?" He disgruntled and it was my time to smirk.

"Nothing." I said nonchalantly after basically calling him a fool.

"Just tell me now what the hell did you say or else..." He trailed and I laughed.

"Ashton I don't have the entire night for this stupid conversation. Stop bugging me and tell me why did you call me and it better be important." I said repeating his words.

"You know you actually act like a witch...right mongrel?" He asked strangely yet calmly.

"I have to speak what people understand. Just like I can't speak Hindi here in London similarly I can't talk to a warlock without being a witch. Simple." He groaned and I laughed internally.

"If you are done can I speak?" he asked.

"Go ahead."

"Look since we both got the project together...I am willing to help you..." My eyes practically bolted out of sockets as I heard him say that.

"As..."

"No, before you jump to conclusions and get on your high horses let me remind me if I fail, you'll fail with me. So consider it as a favour because if I'll help then we'll both pass. So in simple words, you need me." Now all the surprise went out of the window as I slowly understood his accent.