Chapter 3 - Not Interested

SKYE

Pride. That is exactly what I feel right now. Dylan has caught three waves and can stand on the board. He is a natural at this, and has the patience to wait for a good wave and a strong paddle skill which is important. He only needs practice and confidence to stand longer on the board before wiping.

If only all my students were like him. He listens, assumes nothing and asks questions to make sure he understood the instructions correctly. He also seems to enjoy it, which is vital when doing any hobby or sport. I catch a small wave from the line-up and end up at the whitewater on the shore. Dylan sits on the sand panting but has a big smile.

"This is better than going to the gym. This has been the workout of my life. I'm sore all over," he chuckles while rubbing his arms.

"You think you hurt now? Wait until tomorrow," I laugh while sitting next to him.

We sit on the sand in comfortable silence, just watching the waves break.

"I thought I would find it scary," Dylan breaks the silence. "You always see those photos of surfers with a giant wall of water behind them."

"It can be like that, just not here in this section of the beach. See, if you walk past the radio station at the start of the Boulevard, you will find the quiet beach. The sea in that section is flat, and the sand area is broad. It's ideal for families with small kids who want to have fun in the water in a relatively safe area. You can walk far into the water, and it reaches your knees at the most.

This area in front of the Boulevard has a good beach break. The waves are high enough to teach basics, practice maneuvers or just ride for pleasure. You see there to our left behind the dunes? That is The Reef. The area has an underwater rocky point which makes heavies off the hook."

"Heavies off the hook?" Dylan looks confused.

I laugh and realize how comfortable I feel around Dylan. I even talk to him in surfing slang just like I do with Kay and Dax.

"It means the waves are large, excellent in size and shape. We are lucky enough to get gas chambers in that area from time to time. Those are the air tunnels you can ride inside," I move my hands to show him how the wave rolls over. "Some people also call them tubes or barrels."

"I have seen pictures of those. Must be quite an experience," Dylan looks at the reef in the distance.

"It is," I nod.

I feel nostalgic and sad at the memories. I loved going to The Reef. After what happened to Natalie, Dax's wife and my friend, I don't dare to go there by myself or bring anybody with me.

"Thanks, Skye. This was an amazing experience. I never thought I could do this. You are an excellent instructor," Dylan says while standing up.

"Hey, I'm having my lunch break now. Would you like to grab a bite here upstairs at Hibiscus?"

"Sure," he smiles.

We head to the store after bringing the boards back to the shed. I grab my bag from my car and hit the showers. Normally, I grab something along the Boulevard, but I'm in the mood for a proper meal. Luna stares at me as I come back inside the store after getting clean.

"You showered!" her face shows surprise.

"Yeah, so?" I shrug.

"You never do. Where is the girl?" my sister looks around.

"What do you mean by 'where is the girl'?" I snap.

"Skye, I'm ready," Dylan says as he comes into the store. The rash guard and baggies in his hand are neatly folded.