Chapter 13 - Trainer

LUNA

Madness! I've never seen the mall so busy. I felt relieved when I left. I only wanted to see the new surfing gear we will order, but it was impossible to get close to the new Oceancrush store. I will have to check the merchandise in the supplier catalog.

I dial our store from my car system as I head to the daycare to pick up Boy.

"Kalani, this is Dylan," his voice come from my speakers.

"Hey, Dylan. It's me, Luna. I got a call to pick up Boy from daycare. His cold is back."

"I'm sorry to hear. Can I do anything to help?"

"I need to bring him home and can't return to the store as Dax has a late meeting. I don't think Skye will come back to the store after his dentist appointment. Can you close today?"

"Sure, no problem. I can bring the keys to your house later. How was the opening?"

"I didn't get to see much of it. I left too late from the Boulevard, and then had trouble finding a place to park. When I got there, the fashion show had started already. I saw Dax in the crowd and pushed my way through to get to him. That is when I got the call. You would think it was a boy band in there from the way people screamed. I could barely hear what the girl from the day care said."

"I'm glad I wasn't there then. Hey, and did you see the new Oceancrush team?"

"Only the first guy. The one with blonde hair. I think he is probably the one you said looks like a dick. He came out sporting a big grin and suddenly got a sour face," I say and Dylan bursts laughing.

"Then you didn't get to see Blue Smith?"

"No, but his face is all over the displays at Kalani. I see him daily," I chuckle.

I hang up after saying goodbye, and head to the day care building. My little nephew has flushed cheeks and lays his head on my shoulder. He falls asleep as I drive home. I park in front of the house and Boy cries as I get him out of the car. As I get closer, I see that the front door is open. Skye was the last one to leave the house. He should be more careful!

"Hello Guppy," I hear the minute I enter. A scream leaves me and Boy cries again.

I look towards the kitchen where the voice came from. I feel relieved at the sight of who stands there; a glass of pineapple juice in his hand.

"Dammit, you scared me!" I try to calm Boy who now is pissed. "What are you doing here? Wait! Let me put Boy to bed first."

I walk to Dax's bedroom, lay Boy in his little bed, and change him into a pajama. As I walk back to the living room, I find my dad settled in his favorite armchair and watching sports on the TV.

Ash Kalani is every bit of handsome as always. His short brown hair is spiced with gray, and his eyes are bright green. My dad has a warm smile and a friendly personality. Everybody loves him as he is also caring and helpful.

"Can I have a hug?" he opens his arms and embraces me.

I adore my dad and miss having him around. He can be hard headed for himself but has been a great support to all of us.

"Are you only visiting? Or are you back?" I feel hopeful.

"I'm staying for a few months. I heard from some people about the surfing festival here in Sea Glass. I visited their website and felt surprised when I found out that a team Kalani will take part. Since that is also my last name, I thought, why not come back and coach the team," he grins cheekily.

"Oh, my God! Dad! This is awesome! Do the guys know you are here?" I rejoice.

Dad is an excellent surfing trainer. He coached Skye when he was a teen. Before my brother got ill, Skye even made it to several prestigious competitions with Dad's help.

"No, but they will find out soon," he shrugs.

Dad wouldn't want to miss on the action, but wouldn't bother to tell the guys either.

"I don't know what Skye thinks, but training himself is a fu- dumb idea," he corrects after I shoot him a warning look.

My dad has a foul mouth, and I hate it when he curses. Especially now with Boy in the house, we have to be very careful. The little dude is repeating everything. A few days ago, Dax burned himself on the stove and said shit. We had to hear that exclamation for a whole day from Boy.

"How is everything at the store?"

"We are doing fine and sales are steady. I hope that with the surfing festival coming soon, we see an increase in the revenue. Skye has a constant flow of students at the surfing school and even mentors a guy called Dylan. Dylan also works for us at the store and does it for free."

"Free work is always handy. But, are we talking about the same Skye? Since when does your brother like people?" he looks at me with disbelief.

"Oh no, he still the same ass to everybody else. Dylan is a kind and decent man. Although Skye hugged me the other day. I'm still shocked by that."

"Is he finally dating Joan? It must be the reason why he is suddenly so pleasant."

"He is not dating anybody seriously at the moment. Why do you mention Joan?" I feel curious.

"Skye has been in love with Joan since the first day she worked for us. It's too fucking obvious," he shrugs.

I'm so puzzled by his statement I can't even scold him for cursing.

"I think you have it wrong. Skye is not in love with Joan, Kay is."

"I know. It's the reason your brother doesn't make a move. He is too stupid or too much of a gentleman. Kay is a good kid, but Joan doesn't want him."

"Daddy, are you sure of this?" my brain is still trying to process his words.

"Guppy, you know Skye always has a pissed look on his face. Look at him whenever Joan comes in the room. He smiles and becomes gentle. Have you ever seen him treat her rudely?"

It's true. Skye is always nice to Joan. I always thought it was because she listens patiently to his rants and complaints after a bad lesson. I know deep inside my brother has a soft side. He is crazy about Boy and is fond of Dylan. I need to pay better attention when I'm in the store.

"How is he doing?" my dad says in a serious tone, and I know what he means.

"He had his yearly appointment about two months ago. The values in his blood test were high, but the doctor told us it was nothing to feel worried about. It could have been his body fighting a small infection. Skye was silent after the appointment and closed himself in his bedroom until the evening. It was evident he cried. I want him to see a counselor, but he will eat me alive if I suggest it. He puts on a tough show, but after so many years, he is still affected."

"I know Guppy. It was a terrible time, and to this day, I have nightmares about it. Seeing him so ill and vulnerable was painful. I felt frustrated because I wasn't able to make him feel better. The fear of the time we almost lost him is still in here," he puts his fist over his heart.

I hug him hard. We all suffered together with Skye. My brother lives with the fear his illness will return, and that this time, he won't survive.

Dylan came by later to bring the keys to the store, and I introduced him to Dad. My Dad was happy to meet him. Dylan felt comfortable enough to tell my father the reason why he works for us for free.

I see my brothers park in front of the house. They talk outside, and I'm losing my patience. Dad as well.

"Are you coming inside or not? I don't have all the time in the world!" Dad shouts from the open front door.

Shock shows on their faces first, then they both run to hug Dad. It's a sweet moment, and I get a little knot in my throat. Especially when I look at Skye and see him clean stray tears from his cheeks. What the hell is going on with my brother?