Chapter 40 - Offer

KAY

I can't believe we are among the four teams who made it to the semi-final! Skye and Dax were spectacular in their performance. I guess they felt relaxed knowing River and Sadie are doing well.

We went to the hospital this morning to visit them. It's a miracle the nurses didn't kick us out. We occupied the whole room and were freaking loud. Anthony set up a laptop between River and Sadie and made a video call test from his phone. The part of the family staying at the hospital could then follow everything that happened at the beach.

River looks less pale already. He is always in a good mood even when the wound on his belly hurts and the stitches bother the hell out of him. Sadie looks radiant, but she always does. I had a crush on her when I was a boy. Now she is too much like my mom. If everything goes well, she can go home soon. River needs to stay longer to avoid the risk of transplant rejection or an infection.

I took a shower after listening to the final team scores. Now that I'm heading back to the team tent, I'm feeling more than hopeful about everything in life, plus I overheard my dad and Ash talk about a barbecue.

Entering the tent, I find Anthony working with Hayden at the bar. He is busy and looks happy while chopping watermelon. Luna sits on a stool at the bar and chats with Joan and Lottie, who are sipping on drinks with big chunks of pineapple on the rim. Dad and Ash talk with Xavier Crush while chilling on a lounge set.

"Congratulations, Kay!" Crush toasts me with a drink in a lime green glass. "Your performance was excellent. Any chance of you wanting to join my team?"

"Are you serious? Is he serious?" I look at my dad and Ash.

"Crush has always been serious about his business," Dad shrugs.

"What about Skye, Dax, and Dylan?" I ask. My heart races in my chest.

"I offered them the same," Crush replies.

"I don't know what the guys think about this, but I- I can't do it- I'm a librarian. I love my job."

I love surfing, but it was never a career option for me. I love books and the university environment.

"Told ya," Dad says to Crush.

"Well, it was worth trying. I'm still surprised. Zero out of four. That never happens," Crush smiles while sipping his drink.

"Wait, what did the guys say?" I look at each of them.

"I said that first, I have a kid; second, recently engaged; and third, a lawyer. It's nothing for me," Dax hands me a frozen drink and sits next to me. Dylan and Skye join the group.

"I have too many business ventures to attend," says Dylan.

"You also said no, right?" I look at Skye. "Why on earth? You always wanted this."

"I wanted this when I was eighteen. Now I want to teach. One day, I will train someone so well I will make the newspaper headlines: I owe it all to Skye Kalani," Skye makes a theatrical gesture with his hand, making everybody laugh.

"I can't believe this..." I shake my head.

"Hey, there you are! I've been looking all over the place for you!" a short woman enters the tent and smiles warmly at Crush.

"This party is better," Crush shrugs. "Dudes, my wife Camilla, also my personal assistant."

"You are his wife?" Anthony asks with a surprised face; the two drinks in his hands almost spilling.

"We've been married for over twenty years," Camilla looks fondly at Crush.

"I never knew. You guys never show affection to each other," Anthony says while Camilla laughs.