Chapter 10 - Sand Facial

DAX

I never thought this would be so hard. Maybe it's because I feel so exhausted this morning. I've been training for the surfing competition together with Kay and my brother. Dylan has private lessons with Skye in the afternoons, but enjoys coming every morning to watch our desperate attempts to do something decent in the water. He is a cool guy, and I have grown used to have him around. He is also a great help around the store, and I feel grateful for that.

I sit on my board by the line-up together with my teammates. The waves are beautiful today, and made possible by the good offshore wind. It is Kay's turn, and we wait patiently for him to pick a wave. I look behind me and see a hint of what is coming. I look at Kay, and he can feel it. He has a small smile, and in a quick movement, he lies on his board and paddles. It is a strong swell, and his balance is perfect as he stands up. He hesitates at first but then moves his feet towards the nose of the board. Carefully, he slides his left foot forward and uses his right leg to steer and keep himself balanced on the lip of the wave. As it brings him further away, he crosses his feet. I can't see him anymore when a large wave hides him.

I look at Skye who bites his lip. If Kay gets the hang five perfected by the time the competition comes, we will have a nice trick under our sleeve. He has done it before, but he needs to stand longer on the board, or he will lose points. I look back and don't see Kay anymore. He probably bailed before wiping. Sometimes this is a better option than being thrown off from the board and getting injured.

"Dax, now it's your turn," my brother shouts from my right. The roar of the sea is loud and even though he is not far away, talking at a normal volume is pointless.

I concentrate and think about what I would like to try. Different waves bring different opportunities for maneuvers. A good swell develops, and I paddle. The wave is high. I put my weight on the back of the board and rotate my hips to turn it back to the breaking wave. It is a perfect cutback, so I repeat it. A fraction of a second is all it takes for me to realize I put my foot on the rail. I lose my balance too close to the sandbank, and I get dragged by the current along the bottom. I swallow a belly full of seawater and kick desperately to break to the surface.

"Dax! Dax! Grab him under his arm Dylan. Oh shit, it must hurt like hell," I hear Kay say as I come up.

I must be close to the shore. I'm kneeling, and the water hits my neck. Suddenly, I feel arms under my armpits, as I cough uncontrollably. The left side of my face is on fire. I feel confused and nauseated as I kneel on the sand. My throat and nostrils hurt from the saline water.

"Dax, look at me."

I open my eyes and see Kay in front of me. I'm out of breath and heave. All the sea water in my stomach comes out and I feel as if I will pass out. He grabs the first aid bag Dylan hands him and searches for something.

"Dylan, could you please bring me two bottles of water?" Kay says.

"Are you okay? What you did was off the hook! Oh damn!" Skye kneels next to Kay and makes a grimace.

"Bad sand facial and selling Buicks, dude. Dax, rinse your mouth with this water. I will clean your face and then dab ointment."

What? Clean my face? Why?

I swish water in my mouth and then spit it out. Kay pours some from the cold bottle in his hand on my cheek, and it numbs the side of my face as it runs down. I try to touch my cheek, but Skye doesn't let me.

"Dax, don't touch your face. You have a nasty scrape and your hands are dirty."

Kay dries my skin with some gauze and then dabs cream on it. It stings and my eyes water. Suddenly, I remember I have to be at work over an hour.

"How bad is it?" I look at Dylan. You can always get an honest answer from him.

"I don't think it will leave a scar, but it is red. You have nicks, and it is swollen," he says.

"Oh no! No! No! I will meet with the Oceancrush people today. I can't go to work with a fucked-up face."

"It's too late for that Dax. Can't you call in sick?" Skye asks.

"I can't. If I do it, that dick Dominic will take credit for all my work."

"Who is Dominic?" Dylan asks.

"Dax's archenemy. The biggest prick in the commercial law world and unfortunately his office mate," says Kay. He has heard me complain plenty about him and can repeat my literal words.

I stand up and drag my feet towards the changing rooms. I look at myself in the mirror. My cheek and temple are red. I have small wounds Kay has covered with antibiotic ointment. At least they are not bleeding. After showering and getting dressed, I comb my hair instead of slicking it back as usual. I will let it dry into my natural curls to cover most of the injuries.

I say goodbye to the guys, get in my car and drive to my work. I keep looking at myself in the mirror and pray for a miracle. After I park in my spot, I head to the food court for my usual breakfast. I need coffee, or I will fall apart. I had a rough night with Boy, who was coughing a lot and has a fever. He woke me up every hour. That is probably the reason I wasn't as sharp as usual in the water.

"Hi, Dax. Do you want your regular?" Charlotte Eloi, my friend and the manager of the cafe, smiles at me as I take a seat at the counter. "Jeez, what happened to your face?" she looks at me with concern.

"I got dragged face first in a sandbank over an hour ago. Lottie, is it that bad? I'm freaking out. I have an important meeting today."

She cups my chin and inspects my face.

"Come to the staff door at the back. I will help you."

Lottie brings me then to a small room filled with lockers. She sets my coffee and my bagel on a little table in the room and then walks out. When she comes back, she has a dish towel filled with ice she hands me.

"Put in on your injury and hold it there. We need to get the swelling down first," Lottie inspects my face.

This is the first time we are so close to each other. I come often to the café and have long talks with her, but we have a counter in between us. Lottie is a beautiful woman; her eyes are a very light brown and her skin is like silky milk chocolate. Her black hair is held in a ballerina knot, and she smells like fresh flowers. Besides beautiful, I find her interesting and smart. I grab the dishtowel with the ice and place it on my skin.

"Good boy. Now eat your breakfast. I will be back in a few minutes to work magic."

I'm left alone to eat my food, and the cold soothes my skin. I wonder what Lottie has planned, but I trust her on whatever it is. I finish my food, and she enters the room again. She opens one locker and retrieves a small bag.

"Let me see. It's getting less. I will need to clean your face first. I don't know what you have on your cheek, but my plan won't work if I don't get it out."

Lottie takes a soft napkin and wipes my face. She then opens her little bag and gets a few small jars and a tube of something.

"Don't freak out. I need to prime your skin first and then I will apply blemish balm. I will blend it so your skin looks less red."

Her hand cups my face, and the fingers on her other hand work lightly on my skin. I close my eyes and enjoy the careful caress. It has been long since a woman has touched me in this way. I have had dates who have only made it to a dinner and some kissing, but not the caring touch I'm receiving right now. She then brushes my skin with some loose powder from a box.

"This is the best I can do with the little time we have. I think you will feel more confident now," Lottie hands me a small mirror.

The little wounds are still there, but the skin is not red anymore. At the most, it looks like razor burn and some nicks.

"You are my savior Lottie. Thank you so much for this," I stand up and give her a hug.

Her curvy body fits so well with mine. I don't know what makes me do it, but I cup her face and kiss her lovely lips.