Chapter 19 - No More Secrets

DYLAN

I still can't believe Ross is my boyfriend. I feel so lucky. He is a lovely man, and I feel so happy with him. I was scared in the beginning. We only had a few dates and then jumped straight on the relationship wagon. Everything is going well so far, and I have hopes it will continue this way.

Ross sits at the dining table typing notes on his laptop while I cook. He updates his article draft with the notes about the places he visited in Sea Glass Beach and the villages in the area. Earlier he posted teaser photos in one of their social media accounts. I've heard of those sites before, but never joined any. He has shown me the marketing value of them and I find it fascinating. Maybe something worth running by the Kalanis to support their business.

Ross mumbles from time to time as he writes. He also brings the paper close to his eyes to read his own terrible handwriting. When he concentrates hard, he gets a little crease between his eyebrows. It's entertaining to look at him.

The weather has taken a weird turn, and it storms outside. The scorching heat of the last days warned us of what was to come.

"Dylan, do we have the stuff to prepare the garlic bread you baked the other day?" he looks up from his work with a hopeful look.

"Yeah, we do," I smile. I like the 'we' part.

"I think it will go nicely with the soup. I'm almost done here and will give you a hand with cooking."

I go back to chopping carrots and tune myself to the news on the TV. Besides the comedies I like, I barely watch it but Ross can have it on the whole day. I don't mind.

"Okay, this is finally done and sent. Hey, I forgot to tell you about something cool that happened today," Ross says while throwing the carrots I chopped in the pot.

"I wanna hear all about it," I stop my chore to give him my attention.

"I got invited by Derek Jansen from Rip Curl to be a guest reporter during the surfing festival," he grins.

"Are you serious? That is amazing! Congratulations!" I cup his face and kiss him.

"Yeah, we met at the Beach Club. He found out what I do for a living and asked me if I could cover the party spots. I'm not allowed to report on the events though, as you are part of the Kalani team. This is a great opportunity, Dylan! If more people find out about me and like my writing, I will earn more money. You can stop working at the store and travel with me," he holds my hands and kisses them.

My heart warms at his plans. He has my comfort and our future in his mind. Ross still doesn't know I have enough money to buy the publishers where he works at if I wanted to.

"Did you read Kay's interview? It was posted today. I'm nervous for mine tomorrow," I change the topic.

"I did. It was excellent, and he gave great answers. It was kind of him to put you and your teammates in the spotlight and still be humble about it. I loved the photo of him reading to the little girl at the library. I'm sure you will do great in your interview. Now, what do you think of the Oceancrush interview?" he tries to keep a serious face on the last part.

It doesn't last long and we both laugh. The reporter didn't hide one bit of what happened. I still can't believe the Ryan guy tried to flash her. Luckily, she wrote kind words about Blue. I met him at the store, and he is a friendly and humble guy. I've been reading as much information as I can find about the other teams. With his titles and ranking, you would have expected Blue to be a prick. He is just the opposite.

"Blue Smith mentioned your team. That is a big thing," Ross caresses my cheek.

"Yeah, I was surprised to read it. Did you know Skye and he were to compete against each other when they were teenagers?"