Chapter 30 - Four Medium Baggies

KAY

The training session was excellent. I notice that as the days go by, I feel less sore and more confident in my skills. The guys did a fantastic job today, and I feel proud of them. Dad asked us to train by ourselves as he has an event at the restaurant he needs to supervise. Some big breakfast. It doesn't surprise me. All the teams are now in the village, and Hibiscus is the only place open from six in the morning.

An invitation arrived at the store yesterday. We've been invited as a team to the Oceancrush party. After what happened with Dylan and the situation between Blue and Luna, we weren't sure if we wanted to attend. Luna told us to stop behaving so bogus, and even she wants to go.

"Dudes, I don't want to sound arrogant, but we killed it out there," Skye leans back on his arms while lying on the sand.

"I had that feeling as well. Well, about you guys, not me," Dylan stares at the waves.

"Will you stop it? You are a good surfer. Don't doubt your skills," Dax says, making him blush.

"I'm starving," I say after my stomach makes a loud rumbling sound. "I hope Dad can accommodate us this morning. He has a big party coming in for breakfast. I'm even willing to take the food to go."

"I'm hungry as well," Skye says while standing. "Have any of you thought about what we will wear for the competition?"

"Are you fucking kidding me?" Dax bursts in laughter. "Who are you now? Joan?"

"Fuck you Dax! I'm serious. Everybody will be there in clothes from their sponsors. We will be a bunch of mismatched idiots if we don't think of something."

"I think I can get us four baggies from a catalog," Dylan says. "I believe we are all the same size, right? About a medium?"

"Dax is a large now. Lottie feeds him often," Skye smirks. He winces from the punch in the arm he receives from Dax.

"Thanks, Dylan," I say. "That would be awesome. Now I only need to think about what to wear to the Oceancrush party. I'm bringing Valentina as my guest. You guys?"

"Wait, if you bring her and I'm bringing Ross. Who will cover the party?" Dylan asks me.

"Derek will," I say. "I hope Ryan or Max do something stupid again. I love every blog post from Ross and the details about who had to be carried out or who started a fight and-"

"-what new idiotic move Max tried on a girl," Dax finishes, making us laugh.

"I didn't even think about us throwing a party. It's not a must, but all the teams have them," Skye gazes at the sea. "Now it's too late to plan one."

It's at moments like these when we notice we are a bunch of amateurs. We lack the financial support other teams get from their sponsors.

We grab our boards and hit the showers. As we reach the store, I see it isn't open yet.

"Kalani is closed. Where is Luna?" I look at the parking lot. Her car isn't in the usual spot.

"She wanted to check on Mom first before heading here. People are still recovering from the Sun-rad party of last night. I don't think people will make a line waiting for us to open," Skye says.

"Last night was eventful. Crush will be mad when he reads Ross' post," Dylan says, enjoying the fact he knows something we don't.

"Come on Dylan! Don't be an ass and tell us!" I make him grin.

"Mouths zipped until the post goes live. Ryan was drunk as usual. This time he exposed himself to the daughter of one of Sun-rad's trainers."

"If I get the chance to be alone with him, I'll give him what he deserves after what he did to Joan," Skye punches his fist in his palm.

It will be a miracle if Ryan is still in the Oceancrush team by next week. Most blog posts compile his stupidity. It puzzles me how he has become a top surfer with his behavior.

After a warm shower and a change of clothes, we head towards Hibiscus. Music comes from the restaurant, and we freeze as we reach the entrance. A big party arrived for breakfast without a doubt. It comprises the Kalanis, Ross, the Rip Curl team, Mrs. Garth, Lottie, Henri, and the owners and employees of the stores on the Boulevard.

Skye's fan club from the coffee place gets excited at his sight. I estimate over a hundred people in here. We look at each other in surprise and stroll inside.

All the tables are covered with lime green tablecloths. The terrace facing the sea has a large lime green background with Luna's logo projected on it. A DJ plays on the left-hand corner. Our families and my dad's employees wear lime green t-shirts with the same logo.

We get hugged and kissed by our families and friends. I'm missing Luna and Joan in the crowd. The place is packed, and they can be anywhere. Valentina walks towards me, cups my face, and kisses me. I look around as I hug her and see my mom smile in approval.

"Ladies and gentlemen. Honeys and dudes," my dad's booming voice come through the speakers. Some people jump scared and laugh. "Welcome to the Kalani team party. Our surfers just joined us. Before we enjoy the fantastic food we have prepared, I have a few words. These dudes have been working hard. I hope you all take a moment to support them and watch them compete. Guys, I wish you great success because you deserve it. And now, I'm proud to present the clothing line our team will wear during the festival."

Clothing line? I thought Dylan would pick something for us at the store. I look at Dylan who smiles while looking at the green background. Skye, Dax and I look at each other, our faces mirror the curiosity we feel.

The DJ changes the music to what I recognize as Summer by Calvin Harris. A rad light show begins, and I grin. Joan comes from behind the green background. Her hair is in a ponytail, and she wears lime green baggies with black hibiscus flowers printed all over them. The long sleeve black rash guard she has on has Luna's logo printed on the front in lime green. Will we wear that? Those clothes are awesome! I look at the guys, and they seem excited.

I turn my attention back to the show. Luna comes out wearing black baggies with a large lime green hibiscus on the side. Her lime green rash guard is short sleeved and has the logo in black. Two outfits! Two professional looking outfits!

I feel so stoked right now! I see flashes and notice the professional photographers capturing every moment. The music continues. Joan and Luna look towards the place where they entered. River comes out wearing a black shirt with a pair of black cargo shorts. A thin lime green trim decorates the pockets and the hems. The shirt has a small embroidered logo on the front. I look at Dax. He tries to hold back his tears and smiles. River seems to enjoy every second.

"This is just part of the beachwear collection designed by Joan Murphy," my dad announces. "It will be available for purchase only at Kalani. Food is served. I hope you enjoy this outrageous morning."

Skye is in deep thought.

"What is it, Skye?" I ask, and we come closer together.

"This was made in a short time. It must have cost a fortune. The store and the restaurant make a decent profit, but not enough to spare in a party like this and those clothes."

Dylan turns so red I'm afraid he will combust.

"Harris? Do you need to tell us anything?" I say, and the attention turns to him.

"I paid for everything, you guys deserve it," he looks at the floor. "You are my family. Ross always tells me about the parties from the other teams. I realized we deserve something good as well. I didn't want an evening party due to all the problems alcohol is causing lately around the Boulevard. I also wanted to make Joan's dream come true."

We all take turns to hug Dylan. I give him a loud kiss on his cheek and he laughs. He is a special human being, and with or without money we love him. We are off to a great start of the festival.