Chapter 38 - Crazy

ANTHONY

It feels good to have Luna in my arms again. We stand in this crowded hospital room and still it feels as if it's only us. I fell in love not only with Luna, but also her out of the ordinary family. They made me see what I missed in my life. I feel relieved and happy after taking my decisions.

"Do you mind if I take Luna out for a short ride? We have a lot to talk about," I look around the room.

They stare at me with crinkled eyes, even the guy in the hospital bed smiles at me.

"Where are my manners? I'm Anthony Smith," I reach to him to shake his hand.

"I'm River Garth-Kalani. So, you are my sister's boyfriend..." he smirks.

I turn to look at Luna, who rolls her eyes.

"Are you Luna's brother?" I ask him. "I thought it was only these two," I say to Luna. Dax and Skye laugh.

"A lot has happened in a short time," she holds my arm and pulls me towards the door.

I wave to the people present and head towards the hallway with Luna. We take our face masks off and kiss.

"God, I missed this," I cup her cheek and look into her eyes.

Luna tells me about River and his mother as we drive. It's a shocking story for the guys and their parents.

"Your mom is full of love and is more than happy to share it," I say. "When I was at the BBQ at your house, she sat to chat with me. It was comfortable, almost like talking to my mom. She treats the people she just met as if she has known them forever. I imagine that having one more son in her life is the best thing to happen to her."

"Yeah, it is. I'm growing fond of them. I think he looks like Skye, it is crazy. Then when Dax stands next to Maggie, you see how much they look alike."

We drive in silence for a while. The obvious question hangs in the air.

"Did you really stop with Oceancrush?" Luna asks before I speak.

"I did. I went to the Oceancrush tent after the heats. Crush sat at the bar with a drink in his hands, and his assistant Camilla stood next to him rubbing his back. I think she suspected my intention, because she caressed my cheek and left us alone."

I remember every single detail of what happened as it is fresh in my memory. Crush looked... broken.

"I know you are leaving the company, Anthony," he looked into his drink. "It's the only reason any surfer calls the legal department to ask details about their contract."

This was the first time he called me by my real name.

"I'm grateful for your excellent performance for our team today. You and Corey saved the little dignity we had left. I've learned my lesson. Instead of caring about money, I should keep a good eye on the people who represent my name. It could have saved me from the embarrassment of the last days," he took a sip from his drink.

"Thank you," I said, lost for words.

"You know, Anthony, I've competed in the most beautiful and unusual places on earth. Still, I always looked forward to returning to my village. I grew up with Ash Kalani and Jaxon Hale. We swam and surfed in this beach with second-hand sticks before the Boulevard even existed. I'm proud of how we, three grubby kids living in poor conditions, found success in life doing what we love. Anthony, I don't hold any grudges against you. I'm happy we sponsored you for many years. You never gave me any problems, and it was a pleasure seeing you grow into a top sportsman. Just tell me the truth; did we lose you to another team?" he finally looked at me.

"Not to another team, only to a little shaper from Sea Glass Beach," I smiled thinking of her.

"Luna Kalani... Beautiful girl, talented, and a hard worker. I have seen her boards and I'm afraid they are better than ours. You are a smart man and she is worth the effort. I wish you only the best. You know if you ever want to come back, the doors will be open," he placed a hand on my shoulder.

He looked so distressed that I hugged him. I'm thankful for the chance he gave me. He patted my back and sighed. I gazed at the Oceancrush tent and felt a little pang of nostalgia, even sadness. I then walked towards the Kalani tent and found Jax, Kay, Joan and Dylan inside.

"Hey Anthony, what brings you here?" Jax said with his usual big smile.

"I quit with Oceancrush. I was hoping Kalani could supply me with something to wear. It's hypocritical to walk around with their brand printed everywhere on my clothes," I looked at my clothes and then at Joan, who smiled and kissed my cheek.

I explained to the guys what I did and asked if they knew of a place I could rent.

"We have a guest room in our house. You can come and stay with us. I'm sure Ross won't mind. Unless you feel uncomfortable living with... you know... two guys," Dylan said embarrassed.

"Not at all. Why would you think that? My sister Ava likes girls," I shrugged, and they looked at me with surprise. "It's not a big deal, and I'm grateful for the offer. I can head to your house tonight after I pack. Can you message me your address?"

"Here you go," Joan handed me a pair of shorts and a staff t-shirt. "It's the best I can do at such short notice. I have other things at the store, but we still need to unpack them. I can get you more clothes tomorrow."

"I need to buy new clothes soon. I might have to return all the Oceancrush clothes," I took off my t-shirt and shorts and put on the new clothes. I'm not a prude and was wearing boxer shorts. I clipped the pump to the pocket of the shorts.

"What was that on your leg?" Kay shouted. "Ouch! Dad!" he rubbed his head on the place where Jax smacked him.

"Staring is rude. Anthony has diabetes and uses an insulin pump. Topic closed. Are you planning to study, kiddo?"

"Yeah, but I don't know where to begin. I want to enroll as soon as possible."

"What do you want to study?" Joan asked.

"Sports medicine."

"If you want to study at the university where I work, I can help you with the enrollment process," said Kay.

I grinned like a little kid. Never in my life I've come across people as loving and helpful as them.

"I need to find the Kalanis to tell them the news. Why did they leave in a hurry?"

"A member of their family is ill. They headed to the hospital. If you go there, ask for River Garth," said Joan.

I steal a glance from time to time at Luna as I drive. I arrive at a section of the coast with a rocky cliff and high grass, park the car and gaze at the beautiful blue-green sea in front of us.

"You quit for me. I feel flattered and also worried I might have pushed you to do it. It wasn't my intention," Luna says.

"I did it for myself as well. I've done competition surfing for twelve years. Nine of those were sponsored by Oceancrush. It was time to make changes and do things the way I want. I also like how I feel when I'm with you."

"We know each other for a short time. This has escalated quickly," Luna laughs.

"You've known your new brother for even shorter than me. You seem fond of him."

"Touché. What do we do now?"

"I think we should make out," I look at the sea, and try to hide a smile.

"Excellent idea."

Luna unbuckles her safety belt and climbs over the gearbox. She straddles me, and I put my arms around her waist. Her fingers tangle in my hair as we kiss. I caress her back and then hold her nape to deepen the kiss.

"I'm crazy about you Luna," I say against her lips.

"Yeah, you are crazy. I think you proved that," Luna smiles.

Ilaugh while I hug her. Yeah, maybe I'm crazy. I'm probably rushing things, buteverything feels right. I better find a place to live soon. I want to continuemy reckless behavior and ask this sweet girl to move in with me.