Chapter 31 - A Dream

BLUE

Since Luna ended things with me, I've spent my time in my room or training. The Oceancrush trainers are finally here. They yelled constantly at Max and Ryan, and could see they haven't been at all in the water. They also yelled at me. I can't concentrate and I'm doubting whether it's time for a career change.

Fed up with my self-imposed punishment, I go outside. The Oceancrush party is tonight, and I have no desire to go. They are obliging me to attend as we are a team. Now, that is the real punishment. As I cross the kitchen, I see the liquor cabinet doors ajar. Those assholes finally broke it open.

I head towards the Boulevard. As long as I stay upstairs, I should be safe from crossing paths with Luna. Her last words have been grinding in my brain. She let me go so I don't have to pick between her and my job. Yes, my job, because it's losing all the appeal. Being an Oceancrush surfer is not my passion anymore.

Luna lied to me about her feelings and sacrificed herself to make me happy. I should be glad, but I'm not. My heart is broken. I didn't know I could fall in love so quickly and I did. When I leave, my heart will stay here in Sea Glass Beach. I need to talk with someone, but I can trust no one. If I confide in one trainer, he will say the usual: that I'm Blue Smith and I can get any woman I want.

It's raining, so I cover my head with my hoodie and walk faster. I will head to Hibiscus and get something to eat there. It's past lunch time and Luna is probably back at the store by now. As I make it to the Boulevard entrance, the rain falls harder. Maybe the shitty weather will make people stay at home and the party will get canceled.

The sea is full with people training or just swimming. What is a little water from the sky when you are already wet? I keep walking to the restaurant and stop from time to time to look in a store window. I've been here long enough and I'm not news anymore. I can go about my day without someone having a panic attack because they saw me.

I make it to the restaurant and find it quiet as the lunch rush is over, but I'm surprised at what I see. The space is transformed as the Kalani headquarters. The tables in the middle are replaced with a set of couches, like a cool VIP lounge. I don't know what Crush's team has planned for our VIP tent, but this is good I must admit. I'm envious I don't belong to this team. They are awesome dudes, and I could be with Luna.

"Anthony, good to see you. Would you like something to eat?" Jax places his hand on my shoulder and I jump scared.

"I'm sorry. I was enjoying the sight."

"The dudes deserved this. They are hard workers, just like you," he hands me a menu as I sit at a table. "I have missed you around. Are your trainers in town already?"

"Yeah, I've been training with them," I gaze around the room and the memories of my early surfing days return.

"Are you okay?" Jax takes a seat in front of me. I shake my head in negative. "Come with me."

Jax speaks in a low voice to a woman with long hair and an ample bosom. She looks at me with concern and I feel emotional. She must be Kay's mom. I follow Jax to a small office at the back of the kitchen. He motions for me to sit down and moves a chair next to mine.

"What bothers you?"

I look around the place, filled with files and happy photos, and let out a shaky breath.

"I'm not enjoying pro surfing anymore. I'm tired of traveling and I hate Max and Ryan, who I think uses drugs. I used to love my career. Waking up early and hitting the waves. I could do it the whole day long. This adventure with Oceancrush was amusing in the beginning, especially my first photo shoot for the fashion line. I was used to the photographers in the water, but this was something else. Then it was the press conferences, the interviews, the autograph sessions. I spend more time doing promo than practicing the sport. The most bogus event was modeling clothes on a catwalk."

Jax looks at me with worry, just like my dad would do, and I feel my eyes filling with tears. He grabs me in a hug, and I sob on his shoulder. My state of mind is not Luna's fault. She is the catalyst. I don't want to be Blue anymore. I want to see my family whenever I want and I want to be with Luna.

"Do you want me to call your family? Is there anybody in Crush's team you can talk to about this?" he says, and I shake my head. I could talk to Camilla, but she can't do much about the situation. "Do you have a backup plan? If you quit pro surfing, what will you do?"

I have a good amount of money saved since I started touring at a young age. I guess I could take time off and enjoy the waves without the pressure of competing, or...

"I want to go to college."

"And what would you like to study?" Jax smiles warmly.

"Sports medicine," I say without hesitation.

"I think you will be good at it, kiddo. Competitive surfing is a temporary thing," Jax points at the wall behind me.

I turn around and on a long shelve above the door is a large collection of trophies and medals. I stand up and inspect the ones on the front. They are all surfing prizes for Jaxon Hale.

"You were a competitive surfer?" I feel surprised at the news.

"Together with Ash Kalani and Xavier Crush. My heart was set on having a restaurant. I started a food kiosk and then we welcomed Kay into the world. My family is my priority. Our financial situation was rough in the beginning. Sea Glass wasn't the charming village of now where the wealthy and famous come to play in the sand. It was a small fishing village with only a few families. Ash worked as a fisherman and in his spare time as a shaper in a beach shack. Xavier helped his father at the seafood market until he signed with a water sports company. When he made a name for himself, he opened Oceancrush, but he is also a village boy like us."

Now I understand why Crush sponsored this festival in Sea Glass Beach of all places. This is home for him, and he wants us to follow his steps.

"Jax, I'm in love with Luna. I don't know what to do about it."

"Luna is my beautiful flower. I love her as if she was my daughter, and the same with her bros. I think the options are clear for you. You need to decide," he says, and I nod. "Let's begin by feeding you. Deciding is better with a full stomach. I asked my wife to make you some comfort food. Mother Kalani used to cook it for us after a hard training day."

Mrs. Hale comes with a steaming bowl as I sit again in the restaurant. She places the large portion of soup in front of me.

"Saimin, a Hawaiian noddle soup. Good for the stomach and for the heart," she caresses my cheek lovingly before heading back to the kitchen.

I pull out my pump and adjust my dose of insulin. I have eaten little in the last days and suddenly feel hungry. The food tastes delicious, and I eat it all. I lean back in my chair, enjoy my full belly and the warm feeling spreading through my body. I think it's time I take charge of my life and fight for my dreams before it's too late.

"Anthony?"

I look up and see Luna dressed in a dirty overall; white paint smeared in her hair. She blushes as I stand up and walk towards her. I clean the dust on her cheek with my thumb, and she smiles.

"Hey, what are you doing here?" I look into her beautiful eyes.

"I came to pick an order for my mom. We are going to the Oceancrush party, and she doesn't feel like cooking. I'm sorry things ended up wrongly between us. I didn't want to hurt you."

"Don't worry. The time apart made me see my life in a new perspective. I only need to survive for a few more weeks."

"What do you mean?"

"I can't tell you yet. Hell, I don't even have all the details myself. I promise you that as soon as I do, I will let you know everything. Is Dax at his office?" I suddenly get an idea.

"Yes, he is. He will take vacation next week for the festival."

"Right on time then," I then turn to the girl at the cash register and take my wallet to pay for my lunch.

"Jax said your money is not good here, and to save it for your dreams," the girl grins at me as she hands a brown bag to Luna.

I give Luna a noisy kiss on her lips, and run back to the villa, not minding the rain at all.