Chapter 22 - Sadie is Back

BLUE

I wish I could stay like this forever, just looking at her. I always wondered how it would feel when I met 'the one'. I'm sure it's how I feel right now as I watch the girl lying next to me. It breaks my heart because I will leave after the competition, and I'm not sure if I will ever see her again.

Luna is an unconventionally beautiful girl. Her lips and front teeth are too big for her face, but it works somehow. She is feminine, but not overly girly. She is strong, independent and carefree. Luna has blue paint in her hair, and I think she hasn't noticed or doesn't care. In the short time I have known her, she has also shown compassion for me and not pity.

"We should eat," she says while sitting up.

"Yeah, we should," I also sit.

We enjoy our food while looking at the ocean. We talk about our childhood and how it was to grow up in our respective families. I think most of the time I talked about my little sister. This morning, I got a signal in the backyard and called her. Ava and my parents are my link to reality in the crazy world where I live in. Luna told me about her family's financial struggles, and how upset she felt when her mom had to leave them.

"I don't blame her. My dad has a good heart, but sometimes he gets obsessed with the sport and forgets about his responsibilities. Forgetting to pick up Dax from daycare because he was building a board was the drop that filled the cup. In the beginning, my mom moved into a tiny one-bedroom studio. None of us could live with her because there was no space. Every day, she would come to the house to be with us, cook our meals and put us to bed. Then she would leave again. I was only seven years old, but I was worried about Dax. He was only four. When Mom met Alberto, they moved to a bigger place, and Dax moved in with them. Skye and I stayed with Dad."

"It must have been hard for you and your bros," I say, and she nods but doesn't look at me.

"Talking about brothers, we should head back. I need to go home early to check on Skye."

"Oh, before I forget. I have something for him," I reach inside the bag and get a little jar.

"What is this?" she opens the jar and takes a whiff. "This smells nice, like mint and honey."

"Among other ingredients. It's my balm for when I get injured. My mom is into natural remedies and has this great book. When I stayed with them after I got sick, I tried to make a rub using the recipes in the book. I sprain my ankles often because I don't pay attention where I walk."

I'm graceful in the water, and clumsy on hard ground.

"Thanks! I'm sure he will appreciate this," she kisses me on the lips.

We clean our trash and pack. I place my arm around Luna's shoulders as we walk back to the Boulevard. As we get closer, I see a bunch of people at the entrance. Luna stiffens next to me and then runs to the store. I leave the bags right there on the sand and run after her.

"And get the fuck out of the store! If I see your stupid face anywhere around here, I will call the cops!"

A curvy woman yells at somebody from the entrance of the store. I come to a stop next to Luna and see Ryan trying to stand up. I think the woman pushed him onto the floor.

"What is going on?" Luna looks around.

"I found him cornering Joan and trying to kiss her!" the woman glares at Ryan, who is wasted as always.

I'm so damn ashamed I have to call myself his teammate. He only causes trouble. I look around but don't see Max anywhere. Luna and I walk together with the woman past the group and enter the store. A girl who I assume is Joan, sits in a corner with her hand clutched to her chest. Luna kneels in front of her and hugs her.