Chapter 14 - Blogger

SKYE

My body aches, and I feel muscles I didn't know I had. Dad is pushing us hard during our training. On our first day as our coach, he told Dylan he did no good just staring at us and to get in the water. Well, he yelled at us first for being unprepared. According to the competition rules we need a substitute surfer and that's why Dylan now trains with us.

I've also been taken away from my teaching duties so I can concentrate on training. Dad will take care of the lessons, and I will work in the store whenever I'm not surfing. This is my second chance to prove what I couldn't when I was 18 years old.

I couldn't stop grinning when Colin had his first lesson with Dad. As I predicted, he made the boy cry. Colin was his irritating self, and Dad told him he was shit. He made him start again from step one; training in the sand.

"I'm dead. I don't even know how I will make it through the next weeks," Dax pants next to me.

"I can't move. Carry me home Skye," Kay says dramatically while lying on the sand.

I look into the distance, only Dylan is left. My Dad is close to him and moves his arms in a wild manner. He can get passionate when giving out instructions. We have a strong wind today, which makes high waves. I see one of them rise behind the line-up.

"Dudes!" I hit Kay and Dax to call their attention.

We all see Dylan paddle hard and then stand as the perfect tube forms.

"He is doing it! He is fucking tube riding!" Kay shouts with excitement.

We all watch in awe as it develops, but Dylan wipes eventually. I imagine he is still nervous and insecure about his skills, but he did it. Minutes later he joins us at the shore, looking exhausted but with a happy high.

"It was unbelievable Dylan! You did it!" I say as we all surround him.

"You have a natural talent for this," Dax pats his shoulder.

I look to the sea and see Dad ride a wave. He grins at us as the wave brings him to the beach.

"You did awesome, kiddo. I'm proud," Dad grabs Dylan in a hug.

Dylan looks surprised at the sudden affection. I know it has been a long time since he spoke with his parents, and his father was never affectionate with him. Dylan better get used to it. My Dad can yell at you one minute and the next he grabs you in a bone-crushing hug.

"Go shower and hit Hibiscus for breakfast. I will see you in the afternoon," he slaps us on the back.

Dad decided we will train in the mornings during the week and also in the afternoons on Saturday and Sunday until the competition starts. I shower and change into clean baggies, a t-shirt, and slip-on sneakers. I won't go to the beach during the day, so I don't need to wear flip flops or walk around barefoot. We all head upstairs to Hibiscus. It's only eight in the morning, and the Boulevard seems busy already. The restaurant looks full as we enter.

"This is weird," Kay says. "It can't be a party so early in the morning."

"I heard that the surfing teams are arriving already in the village and the town," Dylan says as we sit at one of the few tables available. "I found it insane. The reason is that The Reef can pose challenges depending on the weather and they want to be prepared. I also heard rumors about the Oceancrush team moving here soon."

"You know what it means, right? Busy water," I lean back in my chair. I feel annoyed at the idea.

Jax brings us our usual food order, and we all scarf it down. We are spending so much time training, I'm even losing weight. Dad spoke with Jax to make sure we get healthy meals. He even forbade me to put a fry in my mouth.

I suddenly feel aware of what is happening. "Is it my imagination or are those two guys staring at us?"

"Do we look weird or something?" Kay looks at himself.

One of the guys who stared at us stands up and walks towards us.

"Hi. Are you guys the members of the Kalani team?" he asks.

"Yeah, we are. This is Skye Kalani, Dylan Harris, Kay Hale and I'm Dax Kalani," my brother confirms.

"Pleased to meet you. I'm Derek Jansen, and I blog for Rip Curl. We will cover all the festival events in Sea Glass Beach; from the preparations to the actual competition. I hope you have heard about us before," he shakes our hands, and we nod.

I look at Kay who grins like an idiot. He follows their blog and their social media as a religion.

"How do you know who we are?" I feel curious.

"It is my team's job to find out the background information about competitors, brands, and events. You are the underdog in the open longboard competition against all the sponsored teams. The rumors going around say you have nothing to be envious. We watched your training this morning, and it was impressive. You were even a promising talent when you were in your teens," he nods at me and smiles warmly.

"Thanks," I say, but feel shocked.

These people do their job well. Derek seems like a friendly dude. He is built like a football player, has wavy dark blonde hair and midnight blue eyes. I give a nudge to Dylan, who stares at him with his mouth open.

"I've also heard your family owns the surfing store at the end of the Boulevard and you even have your own shaper. Do you guys plan to present Kalani as a new brand?"

"That isn't in the plans. We will take part as an independent team. Kalani and Hibiscus sponsor us, but it's where it ends. The shaper you talk about is our sister Luna. She has her workshop at the back of the store," Dax explains proudly.

"Female shaper, also great stuff for the blog. I want to meet with Luna. Maybe I can do a feature on her and her work. I also hope you guys have time for us during the next weeks. I would like to interview each of you or as a team," he looks hopeful.

I look again at Kay, and have trouble hiding a laugh, so I cough. He stares at Derek and nods like a six-year-old who has been offered candy. Dylan is deep in thought, and I wonder what is going through his head.

We say goodbye to Derek after writing our contact details on his phone. We keep our chill until he leaves the restaurant, and then Kay jumps like a girl at a boy band concert.

"RIP CURL DUDES! RIP! CURL!"

"Is a blogger's work more significant than a trade magazine?" Dylan asks.

"The information spreads quicker and is fresher than a magazine which is put together months or weeks in advance," Dax explains. "Derek can write about whatever he wants in any way he wants. He doesn't need to keep any brand happy. Rip Curl's social media accounts have millions of followers. He can make you or break you. Still, he seems like a nice guy."

We walk back towards Kalani, but suddenly Dylan stops. A grin forms on his lips. I look towards the store entrance and see a man with red hair talking with my sister. The guy spots Dylan and returns the grin.

"Hey handsome!" he walks towards us and kisses Dylan softly on the lips.

"Guys, this is-" Dylan hesitates.

"I'm Ross. I'm Dylan's boyfriend," he shakes our hands.

"Finally, I can now put a face to the guy who has him head over heels," I say while Dylan's face turns red. Ross laughs.

"What are you doing here?" Dylan asks. "I thought you had to work."

"I came to say hello, and I'm working. I have a meeting at the Beach Club, and then another at Hibiscus. Two potential party locations for weddings here at Sea Glass Beach. They are worth checking out."

"Definitely. My dad owns Hibiscus, and he can cater for a big party," Kay says proudly.

"Looking forward to meeting him. I also look forward to seeing you at home tonight," he kisses Dylan again.

I look around, and we all grin at their sweet interaction. Well, except Dax, who has a puzzled face. Probably because we have not told him Dylan likes guys.