Chapter 9 - Ross

DYLAN

I'm so damn nervous. I check my reflection in the rear-view mirror and look okay. I don't have the sick color on my skin anymore. I was afraid of looking orange after the spray tanning salon, but I see now it is an improvement.

Joan chose my clothes for this date. I'm wearing a long sleeve white button-down shirt, skinny gray trousers and those sneakers you slip on. She threatened me with death if I dare to put on socks with those. Many people are mistaken about gay guys being into fashion. I have no interest in it.

I have a new wardrobe and a job, even if it is unpaid. I have made friends here in Sea Glass Beach who have my back on this dating project. I should feel confident, but I'm far away from it. Guys being interested in me is still new.

I make it into the parking lot of Cristal, a casual Caribbean restaurant Ross picked. I take a look around as I get inside, and I'm impressed. The atmosphere is relaxed, happy, and colorful. Each table is lit by a hanging glass lamp that looks like a hibiscus flower. The tables are covered with cream tablecloths, and the earthenware is colorful and mismatched.

I walk to the hostess and give her my and Ross' first names. It never occurred to me to ask him for his last name. The girl gives me a friendly smile, and motions for me to follow her. Ross sits at a table, sips a beer and frowns at his phone. He smiles wide when he sees me and stands up to give me a hug.

"Nice to see you again Dylan. What do you want to drink?" he sits next to me.

"Just soda. I rarely drink alcohol."

"Oh, that is fine. Do you mind I'm having a beer?" he asks with concern.

"Not at all," I say, and he relaxes.

"I'm not a big drinker either. I enjoy one from time to time to relax after a hard week."

"What do you do for a living?" I ask, feeling curious. What is a hard week to him?

"I write articles for a wedding magazine. I had to deliver my items today and barely made it to the due time. I'm the master at procrastinating," he grins.

"Weddings? Do you write about dresses and stuff?" I'm surprised at his career choice.

Ross snorts. I feel confused and embarrassed.

"You are so cute. I don't know shit about fashion and even less about wedding fashion. I write articles about wedding locations and honeymoons. I'm like a travel journalist, but keep in mind if a location is suitable to hold a party and have fun."

"Are you scouting locations here in Sea Glass Beach?" I take a sip of the soda the waitress sets before me.

"Sort of. I'm a local and have a studio here in the village. I rent it out when I'm not living in it. I traveled around a lot in the last years, and I'm tired of it. Spoke with my editor and convinced her to let me stay local for a while. I came back to my roots and want to explore what my little village and nearby towns offer. The difference is I get to sleep in my bed instead of a hotel. I also want to see the coming surfing festival."

"That sounds nice. I didn't even know such a career existed."

"I love to travel, write and party, so it was a perfect choice. What about you? What do you do for a living?"

I feel hesitant about telling him the truth. Only Luna, Skye, and Joan know about my wealth. I don't want to go through the same experience I had with my ex, who was only interested in what I could buy him.

"I work at Kalani, the surfing store," I only say. I'm not lying, it is the truth.

"I met you there. Forgive my stupidity for asking that," Ross holds my hand.

I look at his bright blue eyes and warm smile. His red hair looks brighter under the light on top of our table. He is so handsome. I feel my cheeks get warm. Hopefully, the tan will cover my embarrassment.

"You are blushing," he caresses my cheek. I guess the tan is not covering anything.

"I'm not used to this. Guys rarely look at me or ask for my phone number," I look at my lap.

"You are a good-looking man Dylan. It's everybody else's loss they have not realized how hot you are. Can I kiss you?"

I gaze at the people in the restaurant. Everybody seems busy with their meals or in conversation. I look back at Ross and nod. He moves forward and kisses me. His lips are soft, and I love the way they fit perfectly with mine. The kiss is sensual, but also careful and respectful.

"I'm happy I forgot to bring sunscreen last Saturday," he makes me blush again.

"I was an idiot on that day. I didn't know what I was saying."

"No, you were not an idiot. I didn't burn, so you gave me excellent advice."

The waitress stands next to us to take our order. I realize I haven't even opened my menu.

"I- I think I need time," I say to her with a sheepish smile, and she leaves again.

"I come here often and can recommend you something if you can't decide."

"Everything looks fantastic, and I'm starving," I say, as I look at my options.

I finally settle for some plantain soup and an avocado salad with fish. Ross orders the same as me. We talk about everything we enjoy. I find it interesting that we have the same musical interests and we both can play the piano. Not that I'm any good at it, but my mother always said a boy from our social class needed to play a classical instrument.

I hated the way I was raised; so strict and formal. The priority was to keep appearances. My parents have the marriage from hell. No, not from hell, more like from the North Pole. They barely speak to each other unless they are at a social function when they even walk with linked arms. Having a gay son was the biggest rule bent, and there was no way my father would accept that.

I think he never really loved me. My mom had affection for me as a child, but we became distant as I grew up. I was probably one task my father had to accomplish to keep his social status. I don't feel unfortunate or offended by it. I felt no affection for my father either.

"You are awfully quiet and concentrated. What are you thinking about?" Ross holds my hand again.

"My parents. We haven't spoken in over two years, and I don't miss them. Is it a bad thing?"

"Do they love you?" he says with concern in his expression.

"I don't think my father does. My mother, maybe. The strange thing is I don't mind. Do you love your parents? I mean, are they okay you are into men?"

"Yeah, they are fine with it. I talk little with my dad since I went to college. My mom is more concerned I might meet a guy who could hurt me. I promised her I will be careful. I've never had a long relationship, and I only date when my schedule allows me."

His words sink in my brain immediately. This is just temporary. Maybe even the only date we will have, and then he will move on. It makes sense since he travels around so much. I try to come up with arguments to convince myself that dating Ross will never work. I can't help feeling pain at the idea that this click between us will never become more.

"But I'm tired of that, and I'm ready to settle down. I would love to come home every day and have someone to talk to. You know, to share what happened during the day. I want to be in a relationship with someone who cares about me, and I would love to have kids."

I get a warm feeling in my heart at his words, and I grin. That is exactly my dream life, and I wonder if right next to me, I have the man of my dreams.