Chapter 12 - Models

BLUE

I feel impressed and scared. Security guards escort and rush us inside the new Oceancrush store. People are already making a long line to get an autograph from us. A few girls see me and scream my name. What the hell? I'm just an ordinary guy. Ryan and Max seem to enjoy the attention while I feel terrified. Max above all smiles and waves at everybody.

I've not been at this mall before. This city is close to Sea Glass Beach, but something tells me that a visit to this mall again will be impossible. The store looks great though. I like how the top of the walls have scattered boards, pieces of hand painted wood and even a bikini top or two that look as if left behind and forgotten. It gives you the vibe of an afternoon at the beach.

"This way guys. The fashion show will start in 15 minutes, and you will be the last ones on the catwalk," says a young blonde woman who I think works for the marketing department. She wears a sundress from the Oceancrush line and gives instructions on a headset.

"I'm sorry. I'm afraid I didn't hear you right. Did you say we will be on the catwalk?" I say as politely as possible; inside I'm freaking out.

"Yes! You will have a chance at being catwalk models," she says in a happy flow of words. "The clothes you will model are backstage. We selected them specifically for you and have your names on them. The wardrobe assistant will help you further. As the new Oceancrush team, this is a crucial event. It will drive tons of customers to the store wanting to look like you. Don't change your clothes after you come down of the catwalk. You will also wear them during the meet and greet session."

My heart beats hard. If the clothes are not customized, everybody will see what is particular about me. I'm not prepared for an alternative plan.

"Can we make poses out there?" Ryan asks in his irritating hyperactive manner. Sometimes he reminds me of a Chihuahua dog.

"You are the stars; you can do whatever you want. Just stroll, smile, and show the new and awesome Oceancrush clothes we sell in the store."

"Of course, we are the stars!" Max smirks while flipping his blonde fringe away from his face. "What is wrong Blue? Are you afraid of the spotlight? Just walk behind me then."

"I'm not scared of anything, but I'm not a damn model; I'm a surfer," I hiss.

I don't know what to think or to do. I look around for an escape route. I can say I feel ill or I can message Ava. She can call me to say we have a family emergency. I feel a hand on my shoulder and see Camilla standing next to me. I let out a deep breath in relief.

"Anthony, I have clothes for you. You can change in the store's bathroom," she whispers in my ear. "Dudes, I need Blue to sign papers. I'll bring him back ready to go on the catwalk," she smiles sweetly.

"Thanks for saving me Camilla. I didn't know you would be here," I walk next to her in a hurry towards the back of the store.

"Xavier is here, so am I. Even if I wasn't, I would never leave you without help. I promised you I will take care of you."

I feel myself relax. Camilla hands me a bag of clothes, and I get in the bathroom. I pull out a pair of beige baggy shorts; an aqua t-shirt with a faded brown surfboard; tan sandals; and a brown hoodie. The hoodie has a large aqua swirl, the Oceancrush logo, on the back.

The pants of all my sponsored clothing are tailored with an inside pocket for my insulin pump. An insulin line is stuck to my thigh. I'm not ashamed of being diabetic, but I don't want to be pitied. I'm at the top of my category because I train hard and give it my best during competitions. I want to get fair scores based on my abilities, and not because people feel sorry about my health condition. Even then I need to be careful, so I disconnect the pump and inject myself with insulin. Only Camilla and Xavier know I'm diabetic, and I would like to keep it like that.

A few years ago, we were in the middle of a tour, and I wasn't feeling well. I called Camilla for help and passed out in her arms the moment I opened the door. Xavier instructed the communication team to tell the press I had a burn out due to all the traveling and I would take a rest from the tour to recover. The press believed the story as I've never been in trouble. I went back to my parents and received proper medical treatment. I needed a good plan to come back to the competitions and rehearsed by disconnecting the pump and keeping insulin close at hand. It has been fine ever since.

I get dressed and head outside. Camilla fixes the hoodie and gives me an approving nod. The lights inside the store and that area of the mall are now dimmed. A music and light show have started on the catwalk and have attracted more people. You can feel the excitement in the air. Tons of models with fake tans, crazy hairdos, and bored faces are congregated backstage. Max and Ryan try to work their charm on the girls. The one Max talks to is melting looking at him, but the girl Ryan is chatting with keeps rolling her eyes. What an idiot! I join them and suddenly feel pride at the realization that I belong to this. The clothes look amazing and are comfortable. Besides the sport, we also sell a dream of eternal sunshine and fun on the waves.

The music gets even louder, and the models go up in an organized and studied way. I hope I don't look clumsy or silly up there. People clap and point at the models. The male models with their six-packs seem to be a hit with the girls. I wish I had that muscle definition. I'm blessed with a slim body, but that's it. The last models come down, and we get a sign it is our turn. My heart is in my throat now. I look at Camilla, and she gives me a reassuring smile. Max walks up the catwalk first. Ryan follows him, and I'm last. The screams are deafening.

I look at Max from the corner of my eye, and something is wrong. I've known him for a short time, but his nostrils flare whenever something doesn't happen the way he wants. His smile is forced, and he looks almost as if he is grinding his teeth. Ryan makes stupid surfing moves, and people laugh at him. I wonder what is going on that is upsetting Max, and then I hear it. People are shouting: 'Blue! Blue! Blue!'

I try not to laugh so I look at the audience to distract myself. A girl catches my eye as she is not paying attention to the fashion show. She talks on a mobile and looks worried. After she hangs up, she gives the phone back to the blonde guy standing next to her, exchanges words and leaves.

Xavier gives a gracious and fun speech as always. He reminds everybody about the 'Sea Glass Beach Surfing Festival' and then declares the store open. We will move into our house in the village in a week, and I can't say I'm looking forward to spending time with these idiots.

The fashion show finishes, and we move to an area inside the store which has a background with our press photo. In front of it is a table with three chairs. I take a place and grab one of the black markers set before us. The marketing people placed a stack of promotional posters at the start of the table for us to sign, but I see people in line with rash guards and even boards.

"Hi, Blue! I'm such a big fan," says a girl in front of me. She is dressed head-to-toe in Oceancrush clothing. "I have all of your DVDs and your posters, and always watch your clips online. I even have a blue board like you!" I smile at her enthusiasm.

I glance to my side and yup, Max's nostrils are flaring.

"That is great to hear! What is your name, love?" I look back at the girl.

"You... called me... LOVE!" she swats her hands in a hilarious manner. "Nora! My name is Nora!"

Igrab a promotional poster and write: Nora, thanksfor the support love, Blue. I give it to the girl, and for a moment, Ithink she will faint from happiness. She takes a selfie of us together and thenmoves to Max, who forces a smile again. He is probably waiting for her to saysomething nice about him, but it doesn't happen. He signs the poster, throws itand hits Ryan on the face with it.