Chapter 45 - Plans

LUNA

The news of Mom and Alberto moving back to Sea Glass Beach have filled me with joy. All the kids are growing up so fast, and now they will get to see them often.

"Auntie Luna! Nikki fell from her bike!" Liam shouts from the entrance of the backyard.

"Skye, hold that thought."

"Okay, let me put Summer in her crib," I hear Skye say behind me.

I hear my daughter's wails as I walk towards the front of the house. Anthony meets me at the path while he carries our girl. We head to the kitchen and sit her on the countertop. I hug her while Anthony gets the first aid kit out of a cabinet. He cleans her scraped knee while she sniffles. The wound looked more impressive under the blood and the dirt. I rub Nikki's back and kiss her head while her daddy applies one of his natural balms. A piece of taffy from the candy jar completes the treatment, and our girl joins her cousins by the food table.

"She went too hard," Anthony scratches the back of his head and grimaces. "The bike bumped on the concrete edge of the garage and she flew."

"It won't be the first or last time she will fall. It's part of growing up. Ask Dax if a broken wrist stopped him from skating. Don't worry," I place my arms around his waist. He kisses the tip of my nose.

Ten years after we met, I still love this guy with all my heart. We understand and accept each other as we are. After Anthony ended his professional contract with Oceancrush, he went back to college. He graduated with a specialization on injury prevention and developed his own line of balms under the name Sea Care. Who would have thought the experiments from his mom's remedy book would turn into his passion?

I still shape custom boards for private clients. The rest of my time I design and supervise the production of my boards under the Kalani brand. I still have the tiny workshop at the back of the store in the Boulevard which now occupies two retail spaces. Our brand has grown fast and we have a bunch of stores in different beach towns around the world.

Anthony gave us a scare a few months ago. His insulin pump malfunctioned, and he collapsed in front of Nikki and me while having breakfast. My daughter was horrified. While I waited for the ambulance, she hugged his body and asked if her daddy was dead. I tried my best to reassure her he would be okay, but inside I was scared at the thought of losing him. Luckily, Anthony felt better the next day. Nikki was in such a state of sadness and worry that the doctors allowed her to see her dad. He hugged her hard and long, and promised her he would come home soon. Nikki and Anthony have the same special relationship my Dad and I have.

"Are you guys going to eat something or should I get you a room?" Dax stands by the backyard door.

"Can I make out with my guy without you or Skye interrupting?" I lift an eyebrow.

"When did Skye do that?" he asks.

"Never mind it," I say while Anthony tries hard not to laugh at the memory.

We join the group after filling our plates. The food is excellent as always. Dax inherited Dad's grilling skills.

"Guys, we want to share news," Dylan holds Ross' hand. Liam sits at his feet playing with a toy car. "We told Liam yesterday already, and he is excited. It's a miracle he hasn't spilled the secret. We got confirmation last Friday that we can adopt again."

We all congratulate them. Dylan and Ross are excellent parents. They adopted Liam five years ago when he was a newborn. He is a handsome boy with dark brown curly hair and blue eyes.

"I need details!" Joan says.

"Her name is Josie, and is a cute three-year-old," Ross begins. "The moment we met her, we knew she was our girl. She is funny, chatty and stole our hearts. Just like this guy here," he ruffles Liam's hair.

"How do you feel about getting a sister, Liam?" Lottie asks.

"My daddies said she will come to live with us next week. She can't walk, but I will help her," he grins.

I get a knot in my throat at his sweet and innocent words.

"She is in a wheelchair. We don't mind," Dylan says while watching his son.

Count on Dylan to do an act of kindness like that. He has made many dreams come true. Thanks to his financial help and interest, people know who we are and what we stand for. A family business, with personal service. I love him as much as I love my brothers.

Ross left the wedding magazine years ago and works as a freelance writer. Dylan and he take turns to attend their businesses and take care of Liam. They are a beautiful family with lots of love and respect for each other. I know they hoped to have more than one child, and I'm happy it will happen.

"You also wanted to tell us something Skye," River reminds him.

"Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Sorry, lack of sleep. Joan and I have this idea, and we think it will be rad if you all join. Some of you might now that Mom and Alberto are moving back to Sea Glass Beach."

The whole group reacts happily to the news. Nikki sits on my lap and touches my cheek to call my attention.

"Are Grandma Sadie and Abu Alberto coming back?"

"Yeah baby, they are coming back," I caress her cheek and she gives me a big smile. Our beautiful daughter has the green eyes of the Kalanis and for the rest, looks like her dad.

"We all have been working hard, and I think most of us have rarely taken a proper vacation," Skye says. "Joan and I wanted to go to Spain until we heard our parents are coming back. Thanks for nothing, Dax. Then we thought why don't we pack our kids and go to Dad and Maggie's lodge for Christmas? Business is slow during that week as everybody celebrates with their families. We can do both in one."

"That is off the hook, Skye! I'm in!" Kay bounces on his chair. "Oh, wait a minute! Baby, are we in?" he looks at Valentina with a silly grin, making us laugh.

"We are in," she pats his cheek lovingly.

"Doesn't Dad have people lodging then?" I ask.

"He has reservations," Skye says. "But he blocked the ten rooms on the first floor for all of us. We can use the small restaurant area and the den for the family, and he will use the big restaurant and the lounge with the bar for the guests. We can go snowboarding, skiing, whatever we want to do and celebrate Christmas together."

The plans have a positive response. I've seen pictures of the lodge, and I know it looks beautiful. Maggie did a fantastic job to redecorate the rundown place and make it homey, fun and efficient.

"And he asked if the Hales and Amber are coming as well to book more rooms," Joan adds.

Kay and Dylan grin. Dylan and his mom have become close. She also loves her son-in-law and grandson. Her relationships with her social circle are damaged, but she doesn't care.

With our parents away, the Hales have become our biggest support. We can always count on them for advice, food and plenty of love. I hope they come with us too.

"Can't wait for the next months to go by quickly," Anthony says after sitting next to me.

"It will be the happiest family Christmas ever," I cup my husband's cheek and give him a sweet kiss.

THE END