Chapter 33 - Samoan

DYLAN

The warmth of a ray of sunshine on my face wakes me up. I blink a few times and then look at the clock on my night table. It has been a while since the last time I slept in. Ross sleeps stretched on our bed, but I'm not bothered by it. After sleeping for so long in hospital beds, our double bed feels large and luxurious.

Ross was so sweet and supportive last night. When the police came to arrest Ryan, I had to give a statement of the events at the Boulevard and earlier at the lobby. Ross held my hand the whole time. I felt embarrassed telling my side of the events. The police took me seriously, especially when they figured out who my father was. At last being the son of Jacob Harris had some purpose.

Derek and my teammates also gave statements while Ryan was handcuffed. One agent found a small plastic bag with cocaine in his pocket. Ryan looked confused and out of his mind. Ross was right. It's a shame. All the hard work to become a sponsored top sportsman, and he snorted it away.

We headed eventually back to the party, just in time to watch a video presentation from Oceancrush and the team. My mouth dropped to the floor when the video reached the end. All the screens were filled with the promotional photo of the Oceancrush team. In the place where Ryan stood in the picture was another guy. Their marketing department probably suspected Ryan would not make it past the party.

"Ladies and gentleman, the Oceancrush team," a woman said on a microphone. "Blue Smith, Max Barlow and Corey Savea."

The backdrop split and the three surfers walked onto the stage to the applause of the crowd present. The Corey guy was impressive. He is even taller than Dax and his wavy black hair goes down to the middle of his back. A tattoo covers his whole right arm.

"Sweetheart, you are drooling," Ross said in my ear.

"I'm sorry," I felt myself blushing and Ross smirked.

"I'm teasing you, babe. Mr. Savea is a fine-looking man," he kissed my cheek.

"Samoan," Kay looked at the guy with a scowl.

"How do you know?" Valentina asked.

"His last name and the tattoo."

At that moment, I understood the logic behind the selection. Skye vs. Anthony, Dax vs. Max, and Kay vs. Corey. I've trained with Anthony. His style and Skye's are very similar. Big splashes and aerials. I've seen videos of Max online, and his maneuvers are quick and elaborate like Dax's. Kay brings the classic moves of his heritage; skills mixed with humor. Oceancrush has Corey now.

"Kalani is Oceancrush's number one contender," I stated, making everybody look at me.

Skye, Dax, and Kay looked at each other and then at the stage. I could see the realization on their faces.

"How is that even possible? We are not even a professional team," said Dax.

"You guys are a skilled and strong team," Valentina said with a satisfied smile. "Many people still remember Skye's past as a competitor. Your interviews have a high amount of reads according to our analytics. The amount of shares your articles get is the proof you have a fan base. Don't underestimate yourselves. Everyone knows about Kalani, including Oceancrush and their consultants."

I talked afterward to many people who wanted to find out more about us. Joan had companies throwing cheeky offers at her for her designs. Luna even got appointments with people interested in her custom boards. By the end of the night, we were in a high.

Now on this warm and perfect morning, I cuddle against my guy. He opens his eyes and gives me a sleepy smile. We went late to bed, feeling buzzed from the few drinks we had at the party. The trail of clothes on the floor leading to our bed is the proof of the fun love making that happened right when we came home.