Chapter 21 - Picnic

LUNA

I'm so happy to be back in the peace of my workshop. After what happened with my brother, I had to cancel my date with Anthony last Friday. He was understanding, told me not to worry, and that it will happen at another time. Skye is at home resting as recommended by the doctor. It has been three days since the accident, and his knee looks less thick. Dad told him that depending on how it goes, he can continue training over the weekend.

Today I will try to reproduce the paint job on Anthony's board. I have a cork board full of photos I took from his surfboard, and clips from magazines. On Saturday, I fixed the ding and yesterday I sanded the whole board before covering it with primer. I mix the paint to match the lightest shade and turn the compressor on to test it. The color on the piece of white foam I airbrush looks similar to the one I need. Carefully, I spray the full surfboard. This is the first one of four shades of blue I need, each darker than the previous. I grab one photo, make marks where the next blended tone should start, and go back to mix more paint.

I work for hours, being careful while spraying the surface. Anthony loves this board, and I want to please him with the result. As I stretch my back, I hear a knock on the door. Anthony stands by the entrance and has a big smile.

"Hey, come in! I finished the paint job on your board. It still needs to dry, but what do you think?"

Anthony leaves what looks like a bag of groceries on the floor and comes closer. He looks surprised as he checks the surfboard. Then he frowns. I look back at the board with the photos to see what I could have done wrong.

"This isn't possible. It looks the same. Can't even see where the hole was," Anthony inspects the board from different angles.

"I took pictures before I worked on it. I tried to match the paint job as carefully as I could," I point at the cork board.

"Not even the shapers from Oceancrush could have done this. Luna, this is perfection," he still looks in awe at it.

"I'm glad you like how it turned out. When it's dry, I will add the varnish coats. It should be ready soon. How is the replacement board working?" I take two bottles of water from my little fridge and offer one to him.

"I wanted to talk to you about it. I like it and want to buy it."

"Really?"

"Yeah, it's a fast board on the water. I will probably use it during the competition. It will depend on the weather. If the wind isn't strong, your design compensates the lack of wave speed."

I feel honored and proud. Anthony can have any board he wants from his sponsor, and still, he chose mine.

"But wouldn't you break some clause in your contract?" I ask.

I have a lawyer at home, and stuff has rubbed on me.

"My contract says I can compete with the board of my choice as long as it's not a competitor brand. Normally is that one," Anthony points to the blue board. "Nowhere it says I can't use a board from an independent shaper."

"Wow! Thanks, Anthony," I feel humbled.

He walks closer and rubs his thumb on my cheek like on the day we met.

"Only a handful of people call me by my real name."

"You don't like it when people call you Blue?"

"Blue is the guy in the ads from Oceancrush. It's even a stupid nickname when you think about it. Some older surfers called me like that because they couldn't even bother to learn my name, and it stuck. Those guys were not the brightest either. Then the marketing department from Oceancrush found out about it and introduced me with that name to everybody. I was only 21 years old and kept my mouth shut instead of telling them I didn't like it."

"You introduced yourself as Anthony. Skye was the one who figured out you are also Blue. I will let everyone know you rather be called by your real name," I say, and he smiles in appreciation at my suggestion.

"I came here to invite you to have a little picnic with me. You know? To make up for our canceled date? I understand if you are busy. We can do it at another time," he looks hopeful.

"That sounds nice! So that is the reason for the grocery bag then?" I move to clean my hands in the sink and take off the overall I use when airbrushing.

"Yeah, I got us some drinks, sandwiches, and snacks. I also have an umbrella outside. While training at The Reef, I saw a good spot where we can sit away from prying eyes."

"A flat area after the first dunes, right?" I say, and he nods. "Yeah, that place is perfect to watch the sea and be away from people. How many autographs have you given out already?"

"I lost count," he blushes.

I close the workshop and help him by carrying the big umbrella. It looks as if it belongs to a garden set. We arrive to the flat area of the dunes. Surfing teams train in the water, but the beach area is quiet. Anthony unrolls an oversized towel, and I open the big umbrella to shield us from the sun. He takes out sandwiches, fruit salad, cookies, and drinks from the bag. His hands shake. Is he nervous?

"Sorry. I don't have any chips. The two idiots on my team make those disappear in seconds," his hands shake even more.

"Don't worry," I sit on the towel.

I pick food and put it on a plate when I hear three beeps. I don't have a mobile phone on me so I look up at Anthony and expect him to check his phone. His eyes widen, and he turns pale.

"Anthony, are you okay?"

"Please, Luna, promise me you won't tell anyone. Not even your brothers. Please, not a word," he looks desperate.

"I promise. You scare me. What is going on?" I kneel next to him and place my hand on his arm.

He opens the button of his shorts and takes out a little machine with a thin tube from an inside pocket. He presses two buttons, then returns it to the pocket.

"I'm diabetic. That was the low glucose alarm. I was supposed to eat over an hour ago. Then I thought about surprising you with the picnic and didn't eat."

I don't know what to say. Anthony looks so vulnerable right now. He grabs a bottle of juice, fights the cap with his trembling hands and drinks quickly from it.

"I'm sorry Luna. Few people know about my condition, and I want to keep it like that."

"Don't worry. I won't tell anyone. Your secret is safe with me. What is that device in your pocket?"

"It's my insulin pump, so I don't have to inject myself every time. I can live a relatively normal life with it," he takes another big gulp of juice.

"Since when are you diabetic?"

"I got diagnosed a few years ago. During one tour, I lost weight with no reason. It didn't matter how much I ate. We had been traveling long and training hard, so I thought little of it. One evening, I believed I was coming down with the flu. I called Camilla, the assistant of Xavier Crush, to ask if she had medicine for it. I barely opened the door when I fainted. With a simple prick on my finger at the hospital, they found out my blood sugar levels were dangerously low. I could have been dead by the morning without medical attention. After I got released from the hospital, I went to my parents to recover. I joined the tour again three months later with the pump attached," he pats his pocket.

"That is scary," I say, and he nods while gazing at the water. "Can you use it while surfing?"

"No. I disconnect the machine and leave the line. I hate the prick of the little needle, so I try not to remove it as much as possible. I make sure I secure it well with medical tape."

I move closer to him and kiss his cheek. Anthony looks at me and kisses my lips softly. He turns his body and keeps kissing me until I lay on the towel. His mouth tastes like the sweet juice. He kisses my neck and moves up to my cheek, then my lips. I run my fingers through his hair. He stops and supports himself on his elbow, then stares at me and smiles. I think I'm falling for him.