Chapter Twenty-Nine

A whole week has went by and it's basically a war at school. Me, Steph, and Liam against everyone else. Garrett has just stayed out of everything, smart boy.

Lisa has joined Danielle's little group, and Leo is still right by her side, making out with her whenever they catch sight of Stephanie. It's a really awful thing for them to do, but it's made Steph get over Leo very fast. She doesn't even wince when she sees him anymore.

And as for the gang situation, nothing's happened. My around the clock protection has probably scared away the rival gang. At least I hope it has.

Now it's another Monday morning and nothing but dread swirled around in my stomach. I don't know why but I have a bad feeling about today. And that was solidified when I didn't see anyone outside my house as I waited for Liam to pick me up, which worried me because dad left really early this morning for a three day work trip. I'm completely alone right now, no one to protect me. I'm an easy target.

Why did Liam's gang all of a sudden stop guarding my house? Did Liam call it off or did someone just not show up?

Soon enough Liam arrived and I quickly got in, scared that if I didn't do it fast enough someone would take me.

"Why isn't anyone keeping watch?" I asked as soon as my seatbelt was clicked into place.

He looked around in confusion before answering, "I don't know. We had an emergency that took up most of our members but someone should still be here to keep you safe."

That's didn't make me feel any better. I wanted to know what the emergency was, but I was trying to stay as far away from gang stuff as possible. It's better if I don't know anything about any of it. It's safer that way.

Liam gently taking my hand in his brought me out of my thoughts and I was grateful for the distraction. His touch instantly calmed me and the bad feeling I had about today faded away.

"Everything is going to be okay." He assured me, starting his car up so we could head off to school.

I hope he's right.

Soon later we were at school and walking towards the building hand in hand when I noticed something strange. People were whispering to each other and looking or point at us. When we first started acting like a couple at school people acted like this, but then the war between Steph and Lisa caught their attention and nobody cared about Liam and I anymore.

Why are they suddenly staring at us again?

I looked up at Liam to see if he noticed it too, but he looked lost in his own thoughts. If I let go of his hand he would probably walk into a wall or something, that's how distracted he was.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid.

As soon as we walked into the school Steph came running up to me, a very angry expression plastered on her face.

"Lisa put a dead fish in my locker Emma. A dead fish! It's probably been there since Friday after school. I can't believe I was ever friends with her." She ranted as the three of us continued down the hallway.

I sighed, "When is this whole thing going to end?"

"I'll stop when she does." Steph huffed before disappearing off in the opposite direction. She's probably going to class early so she has time to plan her revenge on Lisa.

That's how it was all of last week, petty pranks, exchanged insults, years of suppressed anger coming out all at once.

When we were all friends we rarely fought. Usually we would just push our anger aside so we didn't hurt anyone's feelings. I guess that was a mistake.