Chapter Thirty-Two

I finally got the courage to speak up when the shock subsided, "Garrett, what's going on?"

He looked angrier than I'd ever seen him before as he paced back and forth in front of me.

"You and Jenny are here because Liam's gang has taken over as the number one drug suppliers in the town. No other gang has any customers anymore, but I'm taking it back in exchange for you two." He finally explained.

This whole kidnapping thing is over drug customers? Seriously?

"I committed to this for so long, and now it's finally paying off. Hell, I even got shot for this. But in the end it'll all be worth it." Garrett went on, to no one in particular.

"You're a monster." I spat.

"Watch your mouth." He snapped back, his dark eyes bright with anger.

This makes no sense. He really seemed like a genuine friend to everyone, how could we have all been fooled by him this much? He's the last person I expected to be the mole. How did this happen?

"You're a pathetic sociopath." I seethed between clenched teeth.

He betrayed Liam, he kidnapped me and Jenny, he probably killed Liam's mom. And I was angry beyond belief at him. But also at myself because I was fooled by him.

He stormed right up to me as my words registered in his brain, and without a word, slapped me across the face, causing my head to snap to the side upon impact as the sound of the violent act rang around the otherwise silent room.

My cheek burned and I wished I could place my hand against it to ease the pain but I was tied up. I couldn't do anything to help or defend myself.

I looked into the eyes of a monster, my own never wavering. I wasn't going to back down. I wasn't going to show him how much he hurt me. I wasn't going to show him how scared I was.

"You hit like a girl."

As soon as the words were out of my mouth I regretted them. His eyes were murderous. He was furious.

I knew I should stay silent, but I was so angry that I just couldn't. And I was going to pay for it.

Garrett balled his hand into a fist and drove it into my stomach, causing all the air to leave my body as I wheezed out a cough of agony.

Unfortunate he didn't stop there. He hit me in the face again, and this time my nose took the majority of the damage.

I felt warmth pool up under my nose and onto the top of my lip, telling me that I was bleeding.

I hoped the sight of blood would be enough for him, but it wasn't.

One final blow to the side of my head seemed to finally satisfied him.

My head pounded and I felt dizzy as I saw him walk over to the door.

"Russ, keep a close eye on these two, I'm not in the mood to stick around here while I wait for Liam to make his decision." I faintly heard Garrett say as darkness engulfed me.

•  •  •  •  •  •  •

I don't know how long I was out for, but by the time I woke up I wasn't tied up in that room anymore. Instead I was back in a car, a still sleeping Jenny beside me.

As I took in my surroundings I noticed that it was pitch black outside, probably the middle of the night or very early in the morning, and as I took a closer look at the interior of the car I realized that it belonged to Garrett. I've been in here countless times before, and the familiar purple palm tree air freshener only confirmed my suspicious.