Chapter Thirty-Four

"Happy Birthday!" I exclaimed as I clambered into the passenger seat of Liam's car. It was weird having him pick me up at my house. I stayed at his until my dad got back from his work trip, which was extended by four days, much to my relief, it gave the bruises time to heal. He only got back last night, and was gone to work super early this morning, so I haven't had to explain my injuries yet. And hopefully I never will because I'd made sure to cover them up.

"Thanks." Liam replied, giving me a warm smile and a kiss on the lips before pulling out of the driveway.

I returned his smile even though he couldn't see it because his eyes were trained on the road, and we fell into a comfortable silence.

"So, I left the gang." Liam causally brought up after a few minutes.

I stared at him in shock, eyebrows raised, mouth agape. Even after what happened, I never expected him to leave that lifestyle.

He quickly glanced over to see my reaction and rolled his eyes at my dramatics, "Don't look so surprised. The only reason I was even in the gang was for the easy money. I needed to support my family because my mom didn't make nearly enough."

My mouth didn't shut at his explanation, I never thought of it like that. But maybe that's because I never really met his mom or knew what she did for a living.

"But I don't have to worry about money anymore, my grandparents are moving in and they have the money to take care of everything." Liam went on, surprising me with his talkative mood. Usually if we got on to a topic like this he would shut it down really quick.

"I'm glad you can focus on being a normal teenager now." I finally replied, giving his arm a supportive squeeze.

"Me too." He agreed, a content smile making its way to his lips.

There was just one thing that I still wanted to know, but I didn't know if I should push it since it's his birthday and I don't want to upset him.

After a moment of consideration, and seeing as he was in a chatty mood, I decided to ask the question.

"What happened to your dad?" I knew his dad died, but I didn't know anything about it. Liam never talked about him.

Liam's grip on the steering wheel tightened, but he stayed relatively calm as he replied, "He was in the same gang I was in, pretty high up, which is why I had the respect of so many members. My dad was shot and killed by Garrett's gang."

"I'm so sorry, I didn't realize it was like that." I muttered, instantly feeling guilty for bringing it up.

Liam shrugged, "He had it coming, he wasn't a good guy. Used to slap around my mom, sold laced, unsafe drugs to people. But after he died the money ran out quick, that's when I joined the gang."

I nodded but couldn't find the right words to say. My mind was spinning with all this new information. Liam and Jenny ended up with two terrible parents. How did I get lucky enough to have two amazing parents, even if I only got a short time with one of them, but Liam and Jenny ended up with awful parents?

Thankfully we pulled into the school parking lot, leaving all the heavy conversation behind as we stepped out of the car.

"Are you ready for your first day back?" Liam asked as he met me in front of the car, interlocking our fingers as he spoke.