Back to School

I couldn't believe this was happening. How was I here?

"Alright, should I...just...where does this go?" My dad asked, peering around me as he followed me down the hallway to the office. He had my backpack in his hand.

"On the back." I muttered.

"Oh right."

I stopped in front of the office doors, we were early. Something I had insisted on though my dad was cool with it because then he wouldn't miss any work. I didn't want to roll through school with everyone there. At least not first thing this morning.

"Ya gonna open the doors?" I snapped, annoyed, bitter, angry.

"Oh right." He repeated. He pulled the handle, a smile on his face. "Here we go."

I blew out a breath, I'd been an asshole all weekend. Taking out my frustration on everyone. Why were they making me doing this? Why were they sending me back to school? Why now?

I shoved my wheels forward, my dad following behind me.

"Good morning Owen!" Mrs. Peterson called from behind her desk. "You must be Owen's dad!"

She was the secretary that all the kids went to. She wasn't strict like Mrs. Ellis, who was so stuck up we were all sure she had never been laid. Probably lived alone with a hundred cats and never been kissed. Mrs. Peterson though would write us pink slips so we could skip out for lunch or if we were late she'd give us a note from the office, god knew she had saved my ass more than once.

My dad thrust his hand out across the desk. "Anthony Savas, pleasure to meet you."

"Lillian Peterson. Owen is such a wonderful young man, I'm so glad he's back."

My dads hand landed on my shoulder, his fingers squeezing. "He is too."

I wasn't.

But it didn't matter what I wanted. It didn't matter that this was going to suck. That half the things I was going to have to do I couldn't. Shit I couldn't even take notes.

I stared at the empty hallway outside the office, knowing that I only had a few short minutes before it would start to fill and I'd be left to the wolves. The thought was unsettling. And I was fucking scared.

"Alright bud. Have a great day. Pops will be here to pick you up after school." He told me once again.

I nodded, swallowing down all the nasty things that wanted to spew out of me.

"It's going to be fine." He checked his watch. "I gotta run."

And just like that he was gone.

And I was still in the office. I looked around, wondering if maybe I could just hang out there.  Maybe Mrs. Peterson would let me chill in the sick room.

The door opened behind me and I felt my heart start skipping. I wasn't ready to face anyone at school yet. I wasn't ready for the stares. For the jokes that were undoubtedly going to happen. The pranks that had been on reply in my mind ever since my dad told me I had no choice. It was pathetic but I didn't want to be the prey. I much preferred being the hunter.

Curiosity got the better of me though as shoes appeared in my line of sight. I looked up, my eyes widening as I stared at Mina confused.

"What are you doing here?"

Her cool green eyes met mine. "Believe it or not, I go here." She said, her arms folded across her chest protectively.

"Since when?"

How had I never noticed her? I mean it wasn't like she was ugly by any means. She was actually rather beautiful if you could get past her sour attitude.

"Since before you." She dropped her arms, letting out a sigh. Her expression softened just a fraction. "Your brother mentioned it was your first day back. He asked if I'd help you."

She tucked some of her blond hair behind her ear, the small diamond in her ear catching in the light.

"If you want it." She said when I didn't answer. "Okay, well here's my number. Text me I guess if you need me."

She held out a folded piece of pink paper. Her nails were painted light blue, the edges chipped a little. I raised my right hand, reaching out slowly for the paper. She was patient with me as I struggled to close my fingers around the paper.

"See ya around Owen."

She left, not looking back.

—————————

Navigating the halls was a bitch. I developed a game plan after I realized there was no way in hell I could ask Mrs. Peterson if I could hide in the office all day. I wasn't going to further embarrass myself by being a wimp. I had to face everybody at some point. Before my injury I would have walked head held high regardless of what humiliation was trying to be forced on me. Like Katie and her endless pranks. If she found out I was about to piss my pants because I was afraid of what other people thought she would never let it go. And I couldn't give her that satisfaction.

So there I was ineffectively trying to get to my first hour. I'd decided that my locker wasn't a necessity. If any of my teachers expected shit from me for the first couple weeks they were ridiculous. Everyone just needed to be happy I was attempting school.

"OWEN!"

I slowed my arms just a fraction hearing my name. I wasn't exactly sure where it had come from and I also wasn't sure I wanted to stick around for it.

"Hey man." Donny said appearing beside me with what seemed like half the football team.

When had they gotten so big?

I felt like a fucking midget.

"Glad your back." He said falling into step beside me.

The other guys giving me similar greetings.

"Yeah, me too."

I still wasn't. But I wasn't about to admit that I'd been forced back.

"You're still in Oralek's right?" Colby asked.

I looked up at him, even he made me feel small.

"Yeah." I mumbled.

"Sweet, here I'll push you."

I felt his hands land on the back of my chair. I opened my mouth to protest but he'd already thrust me forward, the wheels sliding through my hands faster than I could push. This was exactly what I didn't want. I didn't want people pushing me around. But as usual, no one bothered to ask me what I wanted. It was becoming the story of my life.