Leftovers

I shoved my wheels forward, lagging behind everyone just a little. Alec glanced over his shoulder, slowing his step. He was always checking on me.

"Colby and the soccer team are headed this way." He told me.

"And?" I muttered, my right arm fatiguing.

He raised an eyebrow at me but kept his mouth shut. I watched as Drew, Jaelyn and Bre all came to a stop as Colby and the team melted into them creating one giant huddle. Everyone started talking to each other, the noise deafening as voices fought to be heard.

"Hey Drew." Isaac said, the mention of Drew's name drawing my attention. "I can definitely get that keg for this weekend."

I clenched my jaw, I hadn't heard about a party. Granted I wouldn't have gone but it was interesting how not a single person had let it slip.

"Hey Owen!" Colby said appearing through the mass of people.

"Hey." I muttered.

I had a strong feeling I already knew where this conversation was going. Especially once the guys on the soccer team all circled around.

"Listen, I know you said no but we need you." Colby said, the guys all mumbling in agreement, heads bobbing up and down.  "Ryan's like the world's worst co-captain and he's an even bigger dick now that you're not there."

Ryan did suck. Great soccer player. Kid had some skills. Had to give him that but he was definitely a dick.

"Still no." I barked.

An array of pleas and begging assaulted my ears. My irritation skyrocketed as I looked past the guys to my friends. Alec had his arm draped across Bre's shoulders. Drew was watching Jaelyn as she tipped her head back and laughed.

"The teams not the same without you Owen." Someone said, my focus returning to the pack of wolves surrounding me.

"My answer isn't changing." My words were short, anger boiling right at the rim, threatening to spill over.

They all started talking again as I shoved myself forward. Thankfully they slowly parted, their mouths still running. I wheeled myself down the hallway, past Alec and Bre and Jaelyn. Past Drew. My jaw started aching, my teeth smashed together.

When did this blind rage stop? When did I just start accepting this? I hated how it flared at any little thing. I hated how it was always there lingering just under the surface. I didn't know how to get rid of it.

I heard someone shout my name through my thoughts. My eyes scanning the bodies in front of me as I continued to try and separate myself from my friends and the guys on the team.

It was Max, standing off to the side by some lockers, his hand waving enthusiastically. I hadn't talked to him since the drama room. I paused long enough to wave back. My eyes drifted to the people he was with but they settled on a girl with a blond ponytail, green eyes narrowed in my direction and a scowl.

I didn't know Max was friends with Mina.

                             —————————

"Looks like Nan made pot pies, ziti, and beef stew!" Jase yelled from the kitchen where he was bent over looking in the fridge. "Plus there's leftovers from dad!"

I wheeled myself closer not wanting to yell, I had a headache I hadn't been able to kick for most of the day. I blamed Bre. She had let out this ear piercing scream after fifth period when we were all together for a brief moment. Over what, I had no idea, nor did I care. But I'd been suffering ever since.

"What is this shit?" Jase mumbled as he cracked a styrofoam container open. He tilted the contents of the box toward me. "You know what this?"

"Nope." I mumbled.

He used his fingers to scoop some out, eating it cold. I raised my eyebrows as he instantly gagged.

"That's fish." He muttered, forcing the bite down.

Jase had never acquired a taste for fish or any sort of seafood. He stuck mostly to land animals.

"I'll eat it." I said.

Myself however had no problems with fish, seafood, or the like.

"You're disgusting, how are we related?"

I had asked myself the very same question dozens of times. But unlike Jase I actually wanted to know the answer.

"This is gonna stink up the whole house if I microwave it. Have Nan make it for you tomorrow." He said. "How about this ziti, look how cheesy it is."

And just like that Jase decided for me. I let out an annoyed sigh, if he noticed he didn't acknowledge it.

It only took him a few minutes to pop a couple bowls of ziti in the microwave. Before I knew it I was sitting across from him at the table, he was bent over his bowl, shoving forkful after forkful in his mouth, his eyes on his phone.

"How's Drew been?" He asked.

I shrugged, even though he wasn't looking.  "Don't know."

"You guys still aren't taking?"

I shook my head, stabbing a noodle with my right hand fisted around my fork.

"No."

He glanced up, his eyes scanning my hand and fork before meeting mine.

"Hold your fork right." He scolded me.

"My hand is tired." It wasn't a lie.

It still felt awkward trying to use left my hand. I doubt it'd ever feel normal. Plus Sarah always pushed for me to use my right.

"Hold it the right way." He insisted.

I stabbed another noodle, not shifting the fork as I looked him square in the eye. "Fuck off."

He blew out a breath, returning back to his phone. "You make everything so difficult."

I let out a dry laugh, dropping my fork into the bowl of pasta. Jase had this special ability to piss me off within seconds and per usual he had succeeded.

"Where are you going?" Surveying me as I rolled back from the table.

"Anywhere you aren't."

"Owen! Come on!" He yelled.

I rolled myself into my room, reaching my left arm as far behind me as I could and slammed my door shut.

I was done for today.