Nothing But Time

Alec threw his arm around Bre, kissing the top of her head as they came to stand beside me. I was talking to Max, Chelsea and Mina with him.

"I'm Alec." He stuck his hand out to Chelsea and then Mina. "And this is Bre."

Mina raised her eyebrow but shook his hand as Chelsea introduced them.

"I didn't know you guys new Max." He said.

"Yeah, I don't know what my life would be like without these two." Max said, wedging himself between Chelsea and Mina.

"Owen! There you are!" Jaelyn said, planting a kiss on my cheek.

I hadn't saw her coming. Then I again I hadn't been looking for her.

"You found me." I mumbled, flashing a small smile.

I couldn't help but notice the look Mina gave Jaelyn. There's was no more doubt in my mind that she didn't like her. And even though I was almost one hundred percent positive Jae was cheating on me, she wasn't a bad person. Well not completely. Cheating on me was pretty shitty, but I couldn't completely blame her either.

"Are you going to introduce me to your friends?" She asked, leaning against my chair.

So we started the process again, Chelsea smiling as she told Jaelyn her name. But I kept my eyes on Mina, watching as the muscles in her jaw clenched, her body stiff. She shook her head, eyes rolling as Jaelyn turned to her.

"I'll see you later." Mina said to Chelsea before she turned and walked away.

"Is she okay?" Jae asked.

Max and Chelsea exchanged a look before Max spoke up. "She's fine, did you finish that worksheet for creative writing?"

"Oh my gosh! I completely forgot." Jaelyn admitted, horrified at the thought. "Shoot! Bae I need to run. I'll see you after class."

She bent down, planting another kiss on my cheek. "Yeah, see you."

"I'm coming with you!" Max called, tugging the end of Chelsea's braid as he darted down the hallway after Jaelyn.

"Need help getting to class?" Alec asked, looking down at me.

"Nah, I'm good. I'll see ya guys." I told him and Bre.

I started to wheel myself away before Chelsea asked me to wait up. I slowed even though she definitely could have caught up with me easily. It wasn't like I moved very fast.

"So..." She started, shifting her books in her arms.

"So." I repeated.

"I know Colby doesn't have a crush on me." She blurted the words so fast they all sort of ran together.

I looked up at her as I shoved my wheels forward. Even if he hadn't then, I was pretty sure he did now.

"You sure?" I asked.

Her blue eyes met mine, they were bright and clear. Her auburn hair pulled back into a braid, pieces falling out to frame her face. Maybe it was because we were coming out of winter and none of us had color, even I was whiter than normal, but her skin was milky white, her lips a soft pink. I could admit she was beautiful. And so far, her personality was nice even if we hadn't really talked much.

"I'm pretty sure Colby didn't know I existed until you said something." She said in way of response.

I shrugged, "Doesn't mean he doesn't like you now that he knows you do exist."

"You really think he likes me?" She asked.

I shrugged. "Yeah, but he's also just a stupid guy." I thought back to when the guys randomly showed up to my house. "Don't let him talk you into anything you don't want."