Don't Be Like This

"Don't what?" I asked, not entirely sure what exactly it was she didn't want me to do.

My mind was a little clouded from her close proximity and the warmth of her skin against my palm.

"Don't be like this." She told me, moving her face away from my hand.

I dropped it back down to her shoulder. Happy for once at the fact that I couldn't stand alone. She was stuck, right there in front of me, only inches away.

"Be like what?"

She blew out a frustrated sigh, her green eyes fierce with determination as they locked with mine.

Just like that our moment was gone.

"Like this." Her voice was clipped as she nodded her head at me.

I didn't get what she was talking about. "What? Crippled?"

She rolled her eyes. "You're not crippled."

"Then what? How am I being?" I pushed.

She shook her head. "Just forget it, lets get you on the bed and you can stretch."

"No Mina." My words came out rushed. As soon as I was sitting she could very well leave. "How am I being?"

I could see her frustration growing. It poured out of her, her muscles tightening, jaw clenching, eyes narrowing.

"Like this!" She let go of me, causing me to panic internally as I watched her hands gesture at me.

Fuck, what if I lost my balance? I'm sure I gripped her shoulders tighter.

"All sweet and kind and caring. Guys like you leave Owen! You always end up leaving! And you don't care what mess you leave behind!" She yelled at me.

"I'm not leaving." I reassured, trying to remain as still as possible while I waited for Mina to put her hands back.

She scoffed, like what I said was the most ridiculous thing she'd ever heard. "Guys like you always leave."

I had a good idea who she was referring to. Max had said that her dad left when she was young and that she had a lot of resentment toward the guy. But I wasn't her dad. And I sure as shit wouldn't walk way. Partially because I couldn't. But also because that wasn't how I worked. I wouldn't just leave. Not without her first blowing a hole through my heart. And I was pretty sure Mina didn't have that in her.

"I'm not going anywhere Mina."

"I don't believe you." If I didn't believe the words she said, I could hear it in her voice. She didn't believe me and she didn't trust me.

I really only had one option.

"I'll prove it."

                                ———————

At some point, Mina and I found our way back to neutral ground. Luckily before I lost my balance or my legs gave way. She had turned on the tv, I did some stretches, none of which really did me any good and we wound up both on the bed watching some chick flick she put on. I could feel my eyes growing heavy, maybe it was exhaustion or maybe the pain was finally starting to recede but I was fading quick.

"Mina." I mumbled, aware that my words sounded slurred and heavy with sleep.

"Hmm?" She didn't bother to look at me.

"Thank you." My eyes were starting to roll in my head as I let out a yawn at the tail end of my words.

That caught her attention as she turned to study me. "Shut your eyes."