Amara

All I did the entire hour was stare at the table. My jaw was aching from grinding my teeth together to hold in an outburst. I just wanted to get the fuck out of this school, away from all these people.

Before Mr. Palmer even dismissed us I was making my way toward the door. I didn't care if I pissed him off. I just needed out of that room, away from that bitch.

I had made it all the way out the door before I heard my name being shouted.

"Owen! Wait!"

I knew it was Mina before her hand landed on my shoulder. She was the only one that would be bothered by Sydney's words, it was her fucking job.

"I'm fine Mina."

I shoved myself forward, effectively making her hand drop. I was anything but fine but I knew Mina didn't actually care. Or she didn't want to care. And that was fine.

I wasn't worth it anyway.

I was crippled.

"You're not crippled!" She yelled.

We were going to have an audience shortly. The hallways erupting into noise as everyone filtered out, excitement for the end of the day humming.

I spun myself around, angry and hurt. "Really? Then what the fuck do you call this?!"

I had thrown my hands in the air, emphasizing the fact that I was the definition of crippled. I'd looked it up, just to double check.

Mina just stared at me, her green eyes locked on mine, full of emotions I didn't understand. I didn't know anything about Mina. She wouldn't let me in. She wouldn't even sort of budge.

I was done.

I was done with everyone in the school. I was done with my friends and my so called friends. I was done with my family, with my fucking chair. I was done with Mina.

When she didn't answer and the hallways were too crowded to make things easy on me, I spun myself back around and pushed my wheels forward as hard as I could.

Was this what it was like to be at the bottom of the food chain? I felt like prey and I was desperately trying to get out of the lion's den.

————————

I'd been silent since Jase picked me up from school. He'd stopped trying to get an answer from me by the time we reached the house. I could have went the entire night in silence. Especially now that he'd stopped asking, stopped attempting to make small talk. But I felt like I was drowning.

Sort of wished I had all those nights ago. Why hadn't I just finished myself off?

"Jaelyn cheated on me." I blurted out just as Jase shut the car off.

"What?" His voice higher than normal from shock. "When?"

I shrugged. "Doesn't matter when."

"Do you know with who?"

I looked over at him slowly, his brown eyes meeting mine. He still wasn't in a particularly great mood but ever since Pops yelled at us we'd been at least unbiased toward each other.

"Drew."

Every time I said it or thought about it, it hurt. Like someone just grabbed a hold of that knife and shoved it a little farther in, missing all of the major vessels and arteries so I'd die slowly. Ya know, really get to feel it sting, have plenty of time to think about it.