On Three

It's funny how even if you know somethings true how when you finally get the proof, how all doubt no matter how small it is, is finally wiped out, how awful it actually feels. Maybe it was because it was my best friend who did it. I wasn't really sure but I was furious regardless and desperately trying not to lose my shit even after I spent the day before in the solitude of my bedroom.

I'd already yelled at my dad, Alec and Katie. They hadn't done anything wrong.

I was wheeling myself down the hallway, realizing that I should probably just keep to myself before I said something I might regret. At this point anyone could have been the victim of my anger. I was also trying to avoid Jaelyn. I wasn't ready to see her. I had success for the most part, only seeing her in passing. Just enough acknowledgement to not make her question anything.

The moment of truth was about to happen though. I had class with Drew. I hadn't seen him yet which made me hopeful that he just wasn't in school. But as I rolled into class, Max calling my name from the desk he sat at by my table, my eyes met Drew's.

He went to give me a hello nod before stopping, his Adam's apple bobbing in his neck.

That mother fucker.

I clamped my mouth shut, my eyes narrowed at him as I slowly made my way into class. He was lucky I was stuck in this damn chair. It was the only thing holding me back from beating the shit out of him.

He swallowed hard, his eyes not leaving mine until I was forced to pass him to get to my table. He knew. He fucking knew I knew.

"Hey." Max said leaning closer to me. "Everything okay?"

I watched Drew pull his phone from his pocket his fingers dancing across the screen at hyper speed.

"Yeah everything's fine."

I already knew who he was texting.

Max looked from me to Drew and back to me. "You sure?"

"Positive."

Neither Jaelyn or Drew were stupid enough to draw attention to themselves at school. Not for this anyway. I knew they weren't going to say anything to me. Which meant the cards were in my hands. Now I just had to figure out how I was going to play them.

                              ————————

"You've been in a great mood today." Alec said later that day.

I glared at him from where I sat.

God, I hoped Alec was as clueless as he seemed.

"Did you hang out with Bre the other night?" I asked.

"What night?"

I couldn't remember what day it was. My days seemed to just blur together.

"I don't know maybe Monday." I said.

He shook his head. "Yeah, I think so. Why?"

"Just curious."

It hadn't answered anything other than the fact that Jaelyn was lying. Surprise there.

"Is Drew seeing anyone?" I continued on. "I haven't seen him chasing after anyone lately."

Drew used to be constantly flirting, always chatting it up with any girl that looked his way. It should have been a giant red flag. But I hadn't payed that much attention. I had been to focused on myself.

"Not that I know of." Alec said with a shrug. "Maybe all the girls have finally caught on that he's a slut."

Normally I would have laughed.

But the thought of Drew being a slut with my girlfriend wasn't all that funny.

What the hell had Jaelyn been thinking?

She knew Drew couldn't keep his dick in his pants.

"Hey do you want me to just give you a ride home?" He asked, staring down at his phone.

"Jase is supposed to pick me up."

"Yeah well, he's later than normal." Alec commented.

"I can't get in your car."

I looked over at him as he typed something in his phone. There was no way he knew and didn't tell me.

Maybe.

I wanted to believe it.

But I also had believed Jaelyn when she told me she loved me. When she said she wouldn't leave.

I guess maybe she hadn't actually lied on the last one. She was still my girlfriend technically. At least for a little while longer.

"I can get you in." He said.

"You're not picking me up." Hadn't we gone through this already?

He looked around the empty parking lot, his Jeep the only car left.

"Who cares? No ones gonna see." He spread his arms wide at the vacant lot. "It's just us."

"No."

"I told Jase I'd bring you home. Looks like you don't have a choice unless you want to sit here all night." He stood from the bench he was sitting on. "Come on."

"When?"

"Just now." He waved his hand at me. "Come on or should I push you?"

He knew I hated being pushed. "Fuck you man."

"Maybe later."

He unlocked his car with his key fob, the lights flashing, a beep echoing through the air. I let out a resigned breath, scanning the empty parking lot. I couldn't believe him. I couldn't fucking believe him.

"I'm strongly against this." I called as I started to follow him.

He was nearly to his Jeep.

"No one cares."

"I do." I said as I rolled up to the passenger side where he was waiting for me.

"You shouldn't." He pulled the door open, turning back to me. "Now how do we go about this? Do I just pick you up or can you stand?"

I snorted. "Does it look like I can stand?"

His head tipped to the side like he was actually contemplating my question.

"I can't stand." I clarified.

"So I'll just pick you up then."

He leaned down wrapping his arm around my shoulders, his other arm wedging itself between my lifeless legs and my chair. I put my arm over his, looking over at him.

"Don't fucking drop me man."

I couldn't stress it enough. It was bad enough having to be lifted into a car by my best friend. I didn't want the disaster of a failed attempt along with it.

There was no way this was going to go well. I wondered if he realized I was still 6'3 and just shy of 165. Definitely much lighter than I had been but still fucking heavy.

"I've got you." He reassured. "On three."

                          ————————

I just love Alec.