Hell Bent

The one potentially bad thing about my new chair was that I was getting more and more bold with it, whipping it around the kitchen floor like it was an extension of my body rather than something I sat in. Nan had already yelled at me multiple times for locking the wheels up and leaving marks across the floor as the tires skidded. Last time I'd done it she told me she was gonna pull me out of my chair and make me clean them. Though I suspected that was just a threat to try and stop me and would never actually be followed through with. It wasn't my fault the house was set up for a perfect straight away that started in the hallway, cut through the living room, dining room and into the kitchen. It was like it was begging me to see how fast I could get the wheels going. Plus it was good practice for basketball. I was doing it constantly and this time was no exception.

"What'd I say about the floors!" Nan shrieked as I flew into the kitchen, whipping my chair up onto one wheel to pivot into a circle before I collided with something.

"I was thinking Nan.." I said as I let my chair slam back down to all its wheels. "Maybe I should try out that wheelchair skateboarding."

She shot me a glare but I was laughing. I'd shown her a video of a guy named Aaron Fotheringham doing a backflip in a wheelchair. She had about shit her pants and told me if I ever tried something like that she'd kill me. I told her I'd stick with basketball. What I didn't say was I'd stick with it for now.

"Over my dead body." She snapped back.

I let out a chuckle, popping myself up on the back wheels as I twirled around in the kitchen. I wasn't always this happy, but I was having a good day pain wise, and I knew in a short couple hours I'd get to see Mina at therapy.

"Aw come on Nan. What are the chances I break my neck twice?" I asked, knowing I was revving her up.

She spun around, knife in hand, her other hand on her hip and full of fire. "Now you listen to me and you listen good..."

I burst out laughing, stopping her before I got a lecture. "I'm just playing, I won't."

At least not right now.

She let out a frustrated sigh even though she was already starting to smile. "You are too much like your dad when he was young."

My smile dropped. "What?"

Nan turned back around to whatever she had been cutting as she spoke. "He was reckless and wild and thought he was invincible. Took him meeting your mother before he realized that life wasn't all about thrill seeking and reckless abandon."

I still couldn't see my dad as a partier or reckless or anything that Nan and Jase said he was.

"Now it seems he went to the other extreme." Her voice was quieter, the fondness from the memories she had been reminiscing on replaced with sadness. "Grief has a way of crippling the soul."

————————

I rolled into therapy, maybe a little faster than I needed too but I was hoping to catch Mina before we had to get down to business. As I rounded the corner into the open doorway, my eyes searching the room, I only found Sarah. She waved her hand as I neared.

"Where's Mina?" I asked instantly, shouting through the distance that still separated us.

Sarah frowned, her normal too wide smile disappearing from her face as she said, "she didn't tell you?"

"Uh no." I shook my head. "This is Mina we're talking about. She doesn't tell me shit."

Sarah gave me a sympathetic smile, knowing that I loved Mina way more than Mina liked me back.

"Her mom's been in the hospital the past few days. I guess she's not doing good." Sarah told me.

I felt the air rush out of me as I said "what?"

How did I not know that? Did Chelsea and Max know? Why wouldn't she tell me? What did 'not doing good' mean?

I could feel panic start to build inside me. I should be there. I should be there for Mina. But I couldn't be if I didn't know.

"I'm sorry Owen." Sarah placed her hand on my shoulder. "Five minutes and we'll get started."

Sarah never gave me five minutes. It was roll in and get my ass kicked instantly. But I wasn't going to ask in fear she'd change her mind, I'd take the five minutes to blow up everyone's phone.

I texted Mina first.

Me: are you okay?

Me: Sarah told me.

Me: is your mom okay?

Me: why didn't you tell me?

I sent the texts in rapid succession, my heart beating wildly as I anticipated her response even though I switched threads to the group chat between Chelsea, Max and me.

Me: what the fuck guys

Me: Mina's mom is in the hospital!?

I stared at my screen knowing I'd get a response out of one of them sooner than I would Mina. Max never let me wait long and he didn't let me down now either.

Max: How'd you find out?

Me: does it fucking matter? Why didn't you tell me?

Chelsea: Mina's secretive you know that

Max: I didn't tell him

Chelsea: no one said you did

Me: what's wrong with her mom?

Max: nothing this is normal

Chelsea: MAX!

Max: what? It is. That bitch is always in the hospital.

Me: will one of you give me a straight fucking answer

Chelsea: nope ask Mina

Max: yeah sorry I love you but can't

Me: and what if she won't tell me? Then what?

They stopped answering. Of course they stopped answering. I let out a groan, navigating back to Mina's thread.

Me: why won't you let me be there for you?

I shoved my phone in my pocket after hitting send just as Sarah returned.

"Everything okay?" She asked.

Yeah just fucking great. Every time I thought that maybe Mina was starting to warm up to me, to let me inch my way closer to that stupid line she had drawn she did something to clarify that I am in no way making any sort of progress.

"Yeah." I muttered.

"Alright." A smile spread across her face. I knew that smile. She was about to make my life hell for the next little bit. "Let's get started then."

I was fine with it though, technically I had asked her too. And if she was making me work hard, I'd have less time to think about how I was in love with a girl that was hell bent on not loving me back.

———————

How random is everyone's "liked songs" playlist on Spotify? I was driving today, listening to music and my song list literally went something like this:

The Beatles
Eminem
Brand New
Shawn Mendes
Jewel
Nirvana
Machine gun Kelly
John Mellencamp

I know my music taste is dope 😂🤣 who wants to be friends?