Truce

I made through half the day before I called Nan and asked her to come get me from school.  Between lack of sleep and pain, I was useless and growing more and more miserable as the minutes ticked by. Jase was supposed to be bringing me some more weed from his friend. My card still no where in sight.

Fuck the government.

I had tried to stretch multiple times through out the day, which sounds easier than it actually is when you're doing it yourself and half your body is lifeless. I had just gotten myself back into my chair when Jase walked in.

I could tell right away he was still pissy. Whatever was going on between him and Brandy it wasn't some small thing and he needed to figure out how to fix it before she walked. I wasn't sure I could survive Jase without Brandy. And if we're being honest I wasn't sure Jase could survive without Brandy.

"Did you remember the weed?" I asked in way of a greeting.

"Damn it." He muttered, tossing his keys more aggressively than needed onto the counter.

"I'll take that as a no."

Fuck him.

"Believe it or not Owen, my life doesn't revolve around you." He snapped.

He hadn't shaved in a couple days, his beard already showing gray hair even though he hadn't hit 30 yet. His eyes had the beginnings of black bags underneath them, his hair a mess on top of his head. He looked like shit. I almost felt bad for him, almost.

"Believe it or not Jase, without the weed I'm in constant fucking pain." I barked back.

"You know what, you little.." Jase seethed, storming toward me.

I ground my teeth, my hands gripping the wheels of my chair as I braced for whatever he was about to do.

"BOTH OF YOU STOP!" Pops' voice boomed into the kitchen.

Jase stopped dead in his tracks, our eyes locking. Well, shit. We were both about to be in trouble. We watched him silently as he snatched his car keys from the counter, agitated.

"I'll go get the damn pot. Jase send me the address." He ordered, walking to the door.

Both of us should have known better. We should have known that wasn't it. Pops never just solved the problem. He also made demands that had threats attached to them. But for as old as we were, we were both apparently morons. I watched Jase as he let out a sigh of relief, my own following. We were seconds too soon, as Pops turned around his hand on the door knob.

"When I get back, the two of you better be best friends, you hear me boys, Nan doesn't need to deal with your bullshit." He growled. "I'm not too old to beat your asses." And then his eyes landed on me and I swallowed hard. "And don't think that chair will stop me either."

He slammed the door, Jase and I staring at the space he once was.

Without looking at me Jase stuck out his hand. "Truce?"

"Truce."

I slapped my hand in his, our petty bullshit wasn't worth Pops' wrath.

"We have to leave an hour. Did you eat?" He asked.

Nan has gotten me a plate of fruit and veggies two hours ago. I didn't tell Jase that I had skipped lunch and only ate half my breakfast.

"Yeah."

He eyed me suspiciously but I wasn't hungry and it was annoying now that the doctors had said something. It was all anyone asked me. Wasn't I old enough to decide for myself if I was hungry or not?