Goals

I tried my best to keep my head down at school. That stupid word echoing through my mind as I went through the motions. It was all I could think about when someone actually talked to me. Was that what they were thinking? Is that all they saw?

"You're unusually docile." Katie commented while Alec and I were exchanging my second half of the day books out at my locker.

I gave her a weak smile. Did Katie think I was crippled?

"What'd you do Alec? Finally beat him into submission?" She asked.

Alec laughed. "If only."

I could feel Katie staring at me which only made me stare at the ground more. She let out a sigh.

"Alright this is crazy. Stop being so insecure." She scolded.

My head whipped up to hers about to defend myself when she shook her head.

"Fuck Sydney. You do realize everyone hates her, most are just too scared to piss her off." Katie said, my stomach twisted at the realization that the whole school must of heard. "Don't let this go to your head because you're still annoying but everyone likes you."

Not everyone.

"Besides after what Drew said to her yesterday, I doubt she's gonna have the balls to say anything else." She added.

Fuck Drew.

"So knock it off and be annoying, would you? No one thinks your damaged but you and Sydney. And her opinion doesn't matter."

Katie slammed her door shut with more force than necessary and stomped off.

"I like her." Alec said.

I laughed, he sounded like an old man finding amusement in the spunky young girl. It made me think of when Katie called him Pops, maybe she was right with the nickname.

"She's right ya know?" He closed my locker. "Ready?"

"Yeah." I mumbled, my mind still going over class with Sydney and everything Katie had just shouted at me.

I wanted to believe Katie, I mean why wouldn't I? But it wasn't as easy as it sounded, to change the way I felt about myself. The doubt and the self loathing that had developed.

————————

"Last time." Sarah told me.

I grabbed a hold of the bars, releasing a breath as I mustered the remainder of my strength. I pulled with everything I had, straining and cussing my way upright.

"You've got it." Sarah encouraged.

"I don't."

My arms were too weak. I was already too tired from the countless tries I'd done before. Sarah wasn't helping, convinced I could pull myself upright on my own.

I didn't believe her.

"Come on Owen." She said.

I ground my teeth together, my left arm pulling harder than my right. My eyes were squeezed shut, my heart thundering in my chest.