Fried Pickles

"You're sure you're good?" Jase asked as I switched into my chair from his car.

"Yeah." I said distractedly, situating myself as fast as possible. "Alec will drop me off later."

"He's here already?" He asked.

"No but Max is."

Jase didn't move from where he was standing in front of me, arms folded across his chest.

"How are you getting to the movies then?" He asked. "You know what? I'll just stay."

I let out a groan, rolling my head back dramatically. "Go Jase, I'll be fine. Alec will be here."

"I'll stay out of the way." Jase pushed. "I mean shit, I was cool, you remember that?"

"Was...past tense here. Now you're just a single fuck, with a bad haircut, dad jeans and a pair of white New Balances. No wonder Brandy left." I checked the pocket of the hoodie I had on, my phone and wallet resting there.

"Wow." Jase muttered. "Low fucking blow man. Should I remind you you're single too?"

I shrugged. "Yeah but I'm 18 meanwhile all your friends are getting married and having kids."

"Good god." He looked up at the sky squinting. "You're such a dick."

I smiled, "just trying to help a brotha out."

"Yeah uh huh." He muttered. "You sure you're  good?"

"Yeah, dad." I rolled my eyes and instantly thought of Mina. "I'm fine."

"What if Alec doesn't show? Does Max even have a car?" He asked.

"Can you go helicopter someone else?" I yelled over my shoulder as I started for the doors of the restaurant. Jase was following me.

"I just don't want you to be stranded." He called after me.

"I have a phone, I'll call." I slapped the silver handicap button on the wall of the restaurant, starting for the doors. "Bye Jase."

He mumbled out some sort of a bye coupled with how I was a pain in the ass but by the time I reached the hostess and glanced over my shoulder he was walking back to his car. Thank god.

"How many?" The blond behind the little podium asked not looking up at me.

"I'm meeting someone."

"Go ahead and take a loo..." She finally raised her head her smile faltering slightly, stuttering for a second as she saw me. Her eyes went wide as she gawked. "Look around."

Smooth.

I let out an annoyed breath, shoving past her. I wasn't but two feet away when I heard Max screaming my name through the busy restaurant. I started heading for him, laughing as he stood on his chair flailing his arms around. Everyone was looking at him like he was possessed. And maybe he was. I never was sure when it came to Max.

He didn't park his ass back down until I was at the table.

"I already ordered some fried pickles." He said. "What the hell took you so long?"

"Jase." That was all the explanation I needed to give.

"He still single?" Max inquired. I barked out some laughter. "I mean you guys almost look identical, I could get over his recent decline in fashion solely because of those cheekbones that run in your family. I mean I get it, heartbreak does things to people."

"He's still single and still straight." I supplied.

Max groaned, burying his face in his hands. "Why? Why does god do this? Why make such beautiful prefect specimens and then make them all fucking straight as a good damn arrow? Why?"